Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Flooding

Replies in this thread : 10

Author

Topic : Flooding

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

23/08/2015 : 19:03:20      reply with quote

Flooding yet again in St.John's Street at teatime today during heavy rainfall. Not caused by the Beck overflowing but due to surface water running off the Playing Fields, the storm drain at bottom of Mitchel Lane yet again unable to cope. Should our council try to convince the relevant authority to install a storm drain at the bottom of St.John's Street since the existing gullies just cannot cope. Yet again residents had to get out there & try to keep gullies clear.
click for more information

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

23/08/2015 : 19:27:04      reply with quote

Also would like to know what's happening about our ill-fated floodgate. I understood that solicitors acting for Bradford Council had given Silsden Council until May this year to set in place removal of the structure. Presumably there is some form of litigation taking place that the public is not privy too.

andytee853
Website Member

Website Member

24/08/2015 : 14:54:48      reply with quote

Yes, it's dragging on a bit isn't it! If nobody is going to take responsibility for rectifying the abomination, I'm sure a local scrap dealer would come and remove it for us free of charge!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/08/2015 : 16:02:52      reply with quote

Bradford put an injunction on the floodgate because of an alleged lack of planning permission.

So the argument is over who owns the land the floodgate metal work is sitting on.

Bradford own the highway on both sides of the Beck and they have a waste bin on the ground in question.

The Environment Agency are responsible for the beck but the landowner is responsible for the land adjacent to the Beck.

So Bradford have served an injunction on themselves and that is what is causing the delay. We could have had this sorted by now and the floodgate finished and hidden behind a nice wall. Now another beck-wall building year will pass and we can all moan about it for another year.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

24/08/2015 : 22:09:53      reply with quote

Peter, whatever the rights or wrongs associated with the erection of what is an unfinished floodgate, surely something needs to be done one way or another. Or are we to continue looking at this eyesore for the foreseeable future. I had email communication with Cllr: Jack Rickard in May this year on this subject & what it meant for St.John's Street residents with regards to flooding. I impressed upon him that in my experience over the past 27 years living in this street almost all flooding events were as a result of surface water run-off from the Playing Fields, made worse by an inadequate storm drain at the bottom of Mitchell Lane. I did admit that there had been some run-off from the beck at the ford but that this had a lesser significant effect. I got the impression that he was responding favourably, but, since then I have heard nothing more from him.

andytee853
Website Member

Website Member

25/08/2015 : 14:05:32      reply with quote

I'm a little bit confused, Peter. As far as I know, an injunction can be served on a person or persons and not an inanimate piece of metal. The injunction would therefore have been served (due to the lack of planning permission) upon the persons who installed it and they should remove it. Surely who owns the land is largely irrelevant.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

25/08/2015 : 14:26:50      reply with quote

But when the structure was build on the understanding from Bradford it didn't need planning permission and the Environment Agency said it was a good idea where does the responsibility lay?

Bradford dragging their heels on this one I'm afraid.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

25/08/2015 : 14:30:27      reply with quote

PS Don't forget Bradford have sponsored this project.

andytee853
Website Member

Website Member

25/08/2015 : 14:39:49      reply with quote

Ok, so I assume that somebody has it in writing from Bradford Council that planning permission was not required?

Bricol
Website Member

Website Member

25/08/2015 : 17:47:49      reply with quote

I have an angle grinder, jack hammer, a trailer and I know a man at a scrapyard in Keighley . . .

Bri

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

25/08/2015 : 19:03:02      reply with quote

posted by andytee853
Ok, so I assume that somebody has it in writing from Bradford Council that planning permission was not required?
You would assume Bradford Council carried out due diligence before handing out cash.If they did not find out planning permission was needed I guess not.But lets go around in circles.Andrew,I can see where the blame is heading even though Bradford Council did not do their job!!

Replies in this thread : 10

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Flooding