Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Traffic Chaos at Roundabout

Replies in this thread : 45
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Traffic Chaos at Roundabout

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 13:34:24      reply with quote

Chaos at the roundabout this lunchtime. Farmers shifting sheep up Keighley Road to a field at bottom of Belton Road in heavy rain.
click for more information

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 13:46:39      reply with quote

I hope they are not putting them in that field that floods!! poor things,Hope they are ok

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 13:56:56      reply with quote

I'm afraid the Steeton roundabout chaos will be an ever increasing problem unless we all start making a noise about the new housing being proposed for Silsden.

X-ref www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=8020

This application for 190 houses off Belton Road has NO PROVISION for upgrading the access onto Keighley Road. If they want to build houses then they must improve the infrastructure, or none of us will be going in, or out of Silsden. sad :(

Apparently BradMet have told the developers there isn't a problem getting onto Keighley Road and the developers are expecting all the residents of the estate to turn left out of Belton Road. sad :(laugh :Dshocked 8O

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 14:31:08      reply with quote

perhaps the comments in the inspectors report on proposed development for silsden in the replacement unitary development plan 2005( which is still valid until a new plan is in place) should be used as an argument against development, I found it on silsden net, worth a look, the inspector at that time said silsden was not suitable for the development proposed and that the sites should be removed from their plan, his comments about crossing the trunk road were very scathing as well.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 15:22:50      reply with quote

The Inspector's report

www.bradford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/153FC8D7-1B39-4EFC-897F-2EC9B91EE577/0/KeighleyMaster1.pdf

... and a summary of the report for Silsden

www.silsden.net/udp/silsdenUDP_RDDP_Inspectors_Report.htm

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 15:29:46      reply with quote

Well Peter, those sheep have found a new home, wont be for too long though, because its the field where the 190 houses are apparently to be built.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 15:37:05      reply with quote

I think these must be the sheep, they arrived about 1 o'clock.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 15:39:34      reply with quote

Would the provision of traffic lights at the roundabout improve traffic flows & lessen the frequency of collisions? The Bradford Road roundabout in Keighley being a typical example.

Landrover
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 16:54:46      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
Would the provision of traffic lights at the roundabout improve traffic flows & lessen the frequency of collisions? The Bradford Road roundabout in Keighley being a typical example.
Traffic lights at a roundabout only makes matters worse. It's bad driving that causes congestion at keighley roundabout. If only drivers would queue and take their turn traffic would flow, when two lanes are trying to join and each driver thinks they have the right of the road, congestion. One bad habit I've noticed on the increase at steeton roundabout, traffic coming down station road in the outside lane heading straight across and forcing their way in.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 16:48:24      reply with quote

Sheep are in fields by the river and its nearly overflowing!!

Bassman
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 19:58:17      reply with quote

Peter do you never miss a trick to appose any new housing in this quaint unspoilt village called Silsden

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 20:05:01      reply with quote

Silsden is a town

midway
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 20:22:28      reply with quote

Yes very interesting, but you have gone off topic.

Bassman
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 20:24:02      reply with quote

I know Silsden is a town but all your opposition to housing just sounds like it is a quaint little village, why do you not want young people who need a home not to be able to get a home close to family and friends, I got my house here forty years ago and it was great for my wife to be able to live and bring up family where she was born.

Bassman
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 20:34:20      reply with quote

Is that your answer to everything you don't agree with ( gone off topic ) you said on this topic the new housing development would make the roundabout problem worse so I have stated that not all new housing is a bad thing.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2015 : 22:32:05      reply with quote

posted by Bassman
I know Silsden is a town but all your opposition to housing just sounds like it is a quaint little village, why do you not want young people who need a home not to be able to get a home close to family and friends, I got my house here forty years ago and it was great for my wife to be able to live and bring up family where she was born.

I think the problem is Silsden being used for city commuters with no roots in Silsden

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 07:59:14      reply with quote

yes i thought this topic was chaos at roundabout due to a farmer moving shhep WHAT THE HELL HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH HOUSING???????!!!!!!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 10:50:52      reply with quote

The subject is

Traffic Chaos at Roundabout

... but this was caused by a farmer moving his sheep - a rare event, and the topic could have been closed after two posts.

However, we all know there is chaos at the Silsden/Steeton roundabout most nights with traffic backing up onto the dual carriageway - I wonder why this happens so frequently? Could it be there are more houses in the surrounding areas generating traffic that all want to use the road through Silsden as a shortcut? I quite often watch the traffic going in and out of Silsden on the road up to Cringles, at 5pm it's a continuous stream in both directions. I can also see across to the Silsden/Steeton roundabout, the road from the roundabout to Steeton Tops is just one continuous line of brake lights.

Now, if a few more hundred houses are built in Silsden, without adequate infrastructure improvements, is the situation going to get better or worse? The immediate plans are to build houses on land which was once designated for employment. Silsden is already a commuter dormitory, many of our residents rarely visit the town centre and play no part in the community. If you are reading this then you are not one of these people, but I know from experience there are some people that are surprised when a well published event takes place and they claim to know nothing about it. Some people don't even know we have a park?????

I am not against housing, but I do believe jobs should come first and the local housing requirement should be a consequence of the local employment opportunities.

Yes, the country does need more housing but forcing an area to take more that it's fair share without the corresponding infrastructure is not the way to do it.

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 11:43:05      reply with quote

How long have you lived here Peter?

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 11:50:28      reply with quote

queues of traffic have got worse since Aldi opened, no doubt about that,cars waiting to turn right into the store, so extra housing down there will also have a big impact.Everyone keeps saying we need more houses, yes in some parts of the country we do, but there are always plenty of houses for sale when you look online at rightmove or in the papers.Plenty of houses for sale in silsden at the moment for example including some brand new ones.The idea that everyone should be able to live in the village/town they grew up in is a very nice idea, but people have to go where the work is, I know this from personal experience with my own family.Silsden does not need more housing it does need a new school though.Any housing that is built in this country should be tailored to the needs of the people, we are an ageing population so I suppose more smaller units like bungalows and flats would be one idea , not massive detached 4/5 bed exec homes or three storey monstrocities

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 13:29:09      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
queues of traffic have got worse since Aldi opened, no doubt about that,cars waiting to turn right into the store,
Absolutely no evidence. The traffic queue goes up through Silsden every night.When you arrive at Aldi behind a car turning right into the supermarket, when you move forward you have caught up to the rear end of the queue before The Grouse.
I know I do the journey most evening rush hours.
If you are stuck waiting for a car to turn right it might seem to take ages but it doesnt really slow down traffic any more than it did before Aldi opened.
solid wood flooring

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 14:20:01      reply with quote

I concur with Gazzer with respect to the suggestion that Aldi is the cause of the problem. It's not the major cause.
The traffic hold up, northbound, is caused by the "new" pedestrian crossing (with lights). Traffic can build up from the crossing to the general area of the former Grouse well before 08.00, so Aldi can hardly be blamed for that. It can continue in that manner until about 10.00 on some mornings.

It starts building up likewise by 14.00 in an afternoon and is then built up continually until after the evening rush hour, which is often still evident at 19.00 or after.

The situation is exacerbated around school starting and finishing times, meaning the queues become longer at those times.

The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that the lights turn to red without pedestrians pushing buttons or even being in the vicinity, presumably to give traffic emerging from Howden Road and possibly southbound from Elliot Street a chance.

Some drivers' lack of understanding about the do's and don't's of yellow box junctions can make matters even worse.

If it becomes apparent that some tweaking of the timings of the red light could be made, there should be a corresponding shortening to the length of the queues. STC might want to take up this issue.

If my memory still serves me well, the commissioning of the lights and the opening of Aldi were events that happened close together. Accordingly, I can understand why Aldi are first to be blamed.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 15:30:34      reply with quote

I was not blaming Aldi! I merely commented that traffic had got worse since then, I know it was bad before.In any event, its not a supermarkets fault, its the idiots who gave planning permission without any road improvements and the same will apply if they are stupid enough to approve 190 houses on belton road

midway
Website Member

Website Member

30/11/2015 : 18:55:58      reply with quote

And the sheep iook to be ok.

Galaxy
Website Member

Website Member

01/12/2015 : 11:43:09      reply with quote

The flow of traffic into Silsden at evening rush hour is not helped by some thoughtless drivers who, once they have managed to get off the dual carriageway onto Keighley Road, seem to breathe a sigh of relief and idle towards Silsden leaving 30-40 metre gaps between them and the car in front or even stopping still long after the car in front has moved forward before proceding.

I know we're supposed to leave a gap big enough so that there is a safe stopping distance but when traffic is moving at a snail's pace that sort of driving is ridiculous. The offending drivers seem to have forgotten that minutes before thy were fighting to get off the dual carriageway and that others were still struggling to do so.

Food for thought?

Landrover
Website Member

Website Member

01/12/2015 : 14:48:06      reply with quote

There is no escaping the fact, the reason traffic grinds to a halt at busy times is due to parked cars at the narrowest point in kirkgate. From the vantage point of the canal bridge cars can be seen queuing along after the crossing. There should be a parking ban between 15:00 and 18:00 throughout kirkgate .

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

01/12/2015 : 19:11:54      reply with quote

posted by Galaxy
The flow of traffic into Silsden at evening rush hour is not helped by some thoughtless drivers who, once they have managed to get off the dual carriageway onto Keighley Road, seem to breathe a sigh of relief and idle towards Silsden leaving 30-40 metre gaps between them and the car in front or even stopping still long after the car in front has moved forward before proceding.

I know we're supposed to leave a gap big enough so that there is a safe stopping distance but when traffic is moving at a snail's pace that sort of driving is ridiculous. The offending drivers seem to have forgotten that minutes before thy were fighting to get off the dual carriageway and that others were still struggling to do so.

Food for thought?
Mathematical modelling of traffic suggests that gaps means traffic flows much better. Less time wasted braking and accelerating.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

01/12/2015 : 19:52:12      reply with quote

Mathematical modelling of traffic suggests that gaps means traffic flows much better. Less time wasted braking and accelerating.
Tell that to the people stuck on the dual carriageway when cars are coming up behind them at 70 mph.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

01/12/2015 : 21:06:17      reply with quote

Bradford Council leader said on Radio Leeds, in answer to my question,promised that there would be no major house building in Silsden until the traffic on Keighley Road is sorted.
Typical politician answer with no substance.
On thing he does is answer on Twitter, so if anyone has twitter then please bombard him with questions. You might not get the answer you want but he might get that there is a problem.

GAZZER ‏@silsdengary Nov 23

@dave4wibsey Could you & Andrew Marshall meet me at Steeton/Silsden roundabout at evening rushour to discuss bit.ly/1X9nJxO
View summary
0 retweets 0 likes
David Green ‏@dave4wibsey Nov 23

@silsdengary afraid I can't but ask one of your local cllrs to organise with planning
0 retweets 0 likes

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

01/12/2015 : 21:57:15      reply with quote

Landrover, I don't doubt what you say in any way but perhaps next time you witness stationary traffic north of the lights, could you observe whether southbound traffic that has been stopped by the crossing lights and has backed up through the town, alongside parked cars by the beck, plays a part in causing the total congestion at the pinch point?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2015 : 06:55:42      reply with quote

Be careful Pennypeck.. parking in Kirkgate is sacred to STC and others. You are right of course, but you can't expect anyone to do anything about it, however sensible it may be. It is the root cause of most traffic delays in the town, both ways..

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2015 : 08:01:21      reply with quote

Its only when there is a lorry its a problem..plenty of room for cars. Solution..ban HGV's

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2015 : 08:40:40      reply with quote

So far this topic has blamed, sheep, Aldi, traffic lights, parked cars, HGV`s and commuters, also highlighting the impending threat of new housing as the scurge of out traffic problem.
We are not strong enough to stop the housing, our protest voices are rarely heard by the authorising powers in planning.
By watching the traffic on the by-pass grow from around 3.15 to 5.30 it appears to simply be the sheer volume of traffic caused by schools closing and people returning home after work.
So we know the cause, lets try and find the answers.
I have suggested in the past removing 2 or 3 car park spaces from outside the post office and banning any vehicle over 7.5 ton seems a good start, perhaps if lobbied STC they would take this up with the relevant departments in Bradford.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2015 : 09:20:21      reply with quote

watch what happens to car parking down main st when the post office closes shortly?????????shocked 8Oshocked 8Oshocked 8O

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2015 : 09:37:56      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Its only when there is a lorry its a problem..plenty of room for cars. Solution..ban HGV's
STC have formally requested an HGV ban through Silsden on several occasions, the last was a few months ago. I believe the request was referred to Highways and nothing has happened.

On banning car parking through Kirkgate - there is a strong lobby from the shopkeepers to keep the parking, and there is an argument to keep the parking because it slows the traffic down. With cars becoming wider the argument for keep the parking becomes weaker, and the traffic could be slowed by narrowing the road (make the pavements wider and chicanes).

A long time ago through STC I asked for at least last parking space to be made into a disabled space, if it can't be removed, but again nothing from Bradford.

I notice there is now a tendency for cars, when it's 'out of hours', to park on the pavement and on yellow lines in Kirkgate. What's that all about?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2015 : 09:49:01      reply with quote

posted by Peter
posted by gazzer
S

I notice there is now a tendency for cars, when it's 'out of hours', to park on the pavement and on yellow lines in Kirkgate. What's that all about?

There are single yellow lines allowing parking after 6pm in places yet some cars still park on the zig zags.Bradford Council only have wardens out on an evening in central Bradford when there is an event on at the Alhambra

Replies in this thread : 45
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Traffic Chaos at Roundabout  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to