Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Aldi best before dates..

Replies in this thread : 11

Author

Topic : Aldi best before dates..

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 19:23:56      reply with quote

Bought some chicken thighs the other day, took them straight home into the fridge, got them out a day before best before and had tro throw them away, had a green tinge inside,and they smelled off, normally these would go to the dogs but went in bin instead,anyone else noticed anything wrong ?
click for more information

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 19:48:19      reply with quote

Been buying Aldi meat for 4/5 years now, never had any bad stuff... mainly British, always tasty, and good value. But I suppose it can happen sometimes.... you should take it back and point it out, they will always take it up with their suppliers.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 20:07:42      reply with quote

posted by Jaguarxjs22
Bought some chicken thighs the other day, took them straight home into the fridge, got them out a day before best before and had tro throw them away, had a green tinge inside,and they smelled off, normally these would go to the dogs but went in bin instead,anyone else noticed anything wrong ?
Just out of interest what temperature have you got your fridge set at as i have seen this happen so many times with fridge tempritures set too warm or a faulty fridge so be sure to check your fridge happy :)

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 20:46:01      reply with quote

just what i was thinking hillbilly,check the fridge,, ps hows that skunk stew coming onwink ;)

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 21:07:37      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
just what i was thinking hillbilly,check the fridge,, ps hows that skunk stew coming onwink ;)
Doggy the skunk stew is bubbling away nicely on the open fire, I will save you some as long as you do not get jaguarxjs2.2 to store it in his fridge laugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :Dlaugh :D

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 22:39:15      reply with quote

did anyone watch the programme last week about Aldi, it might have been dispatches or something like that, it was very illuminating about what a shoddy shop Aldi really is, food that is off, fresh fruit and veg that does not have any best before or sell by dates and basically is not fresh at all, out of date food on shelves, staff treated badly, fire exits blocked, worth a watch.I have been in all the local Aldi stores just to see what they are like and I am immediately aware of a smell like rotting veg, now I know why.

dins
Website Member

Website Member

18/11/2015 : 23:29:40      reply with quote

I did watch it ginjo. Scary stuff. I have been wondering for a while now, why i could not find an actual date on fresh veg, it is only a code which the programme highlighted.
Now i understand the code, i have checked silsden store, and found frequent examples of new produce put on top of old goods, and old goods well out of date compared to what is going on top. At least the coop reduce to clear before it is out of date, and the choice is yours.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 07:40:06      reply with quote

www.cheapeats.ie/2012/10/09/lidl-and-aldis-mysterious-best-before-dates-on-fruit-and-veg/

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 10:22:44      reply with quote

When Aldi, Lidl and Netto first appeared they sold on price, and difference. They sold things that the regular supermarkets did not on a batch basis. I bought a small band saw from Netto, tools and clothing from Lidl and Aldi. Usually of a reasonable quality. They also had different foods from the others.

However, they have now changed and are basically chasing down prices. They still have the batch things but the choice is down and the quality it no as good. Sometimes they have things worth buying. Nice plastic tool box not long back (made in UK which is really interesting). Food, while cheap has pretty much standardised to lowest common denominator for British tastes. There is now more continental exotica in Sainsburys and Asda.

When chasing down the price there is a finite limit as the real costs, property, staff, energy etc. are not completely under their control. Aldi and Lidl (Netto went first, to Asda) by using cheap sites and small premises have kept property and energy cost down. Staff are worked but they have always paid above the going rate. I suspect that that premium has come down a bit recently and the efforts to work the staff are obviously beginning to tell. That programme about Aldi suggested some rather stranage practises.

There is also the assumption that the competition will not respond. Well, of the big four supermarkets the assumption was that it was Sainsburys or Morrisons that would wobble first. Seems like it is Asda that is wobbling. Now in common with Aldi and Lidl Asda is foreign owned, Walmart. Historically foreign owned shopping chains start off well, but do not survive the course. Woolworths, C&A, Safeways all gone.

In the early days I was a fan of Aldi and Lidl, but no more. Poundland, B&M, Yorkshire Trading, and a few others have started to make inroads. Sainsburys has crept up market a little, successfully it seems. Morrisons and Tesco are really old style market traders and are unlikely to to let upstart Yanks and Krauts really get the best of them. Even the Cooperative is not rolling over.

VW has not exactly helped the general opinion of German quality and efficiency, and the date marking in Aldi suggests that they have not bothered to learn from the existing UK market.

It is fascinating watch this situation. However, anyone writing off the existing British retail companies really needs to read some commercial history.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 14:07:24      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

well put and said old minerhappy :)

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 17:00:34      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
well put and said old minerhappy :)
HERE HERE i will 2nd that me old mate old miner WELL SAID happy :)happy :)happy :)happy :)happy :)happy :)

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 20:09:29      reply with quote

Excuse me Hillbilly, there's nowt wrong wi my fridge,I even plug it in for a couple of hours every day to keep it extra cold....

Replies in this thread : 11

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Aldi best before dates..  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to