Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Has Adrian Naylor lost the plot!!

Replies in this thread : 8

Author

Topic : Has Adrian Naylor lost the plot!!

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 09:08:33      reply with quote

I have just read an article in Keighley news in which Cllr Naylor seems to think that the development at belton road is ok because everyone living there will not need to drive through silsden, they will all turn left and use the trunk road, how does he know that then? yes some will but it depends on where they work doesn,t it! He seems resigned to the fact the silsden is destined for a lot of development instead of making the case for why it should not, the last inspector said there was no way silsden could be used for such expansion and that the sites allocated in that plan should be deleted and any removal of greenbelt should be reinstated.Nothing has changed since then so for heavens sake Cllr Naylor, make the case AGAINST mass development, make it as difficult as possible for developers, we don't want them here, we have had enough
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 09:44:04      reply with quote

I think you have misread the article.

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14042100.print/

This about a masterplan for Silsden's future development so the town develops in a structured way with the infrastructure in place BEFORE the houses are built. As it is, the proposed Belton Road houses will look out onto the Aire Valley until a bypass is built to the south.

The bypass is just a dream but if more houses are built it must become a reality. The route for a bypass is to the South of the houses proposed for Belton Road and on round to Swartha and Bolton Road, it will have to be elevated (it will be on the floodplain).

I wonder if the potential buyers of the new houses will be happy living next to a bypass which overlooks them? The bypass which will be built long after they have bought their houses.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 09:51:36      reply with quote

PS This was the plan in 2004. Note the red line is the bypass route

silsden.net/udp/silsdenudpmap-small.htm

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 10:02:22      reply with quote

peter, the plan you are looking at is obsolete, it was amended following the last public inquiry.I spoke to Bradford council this week, they are working on site allocations next year and that process will take 2-3 years, at that point a development plan will be put in place following the consultations, public inquiry etc.there is no line on a map at the moment, people need to get this into their heads, Adrian Naylor is confusing matters.We need to be objecting to anything and everything now or we will end up with a lot of ad hoc development

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 10:40:17      reply with quote

We need to be objecting to anything and everything now or we will end up with a lot of ad hoc development
Agreed, but it's difficult to jusify nimbyism when you don't have an alternative. There is a housing shortage and Bradford see us as a soft touch for money and space to build houses.

We must have a masterplan before any more houses are built. Bradford admit they haven't thought about one and the closest thing we have is a half finished neighbourhood plan. In the meantime more houses are being approved to be built in Silsden by Bradford with no plan about infrastructure. They don't seem to have a clue (or care) about the ensuing chaos.

The map may be out of date but it's the only logical route for a bypass. Bridges are very expensive and it make sense to use the existing bridge across the Aire and then go left or right? Taking the eastern route (right) is the only logical solution, less gradient, shorter route and can serve as access to the new proposed houses.

Most of the traffic going though Silsden is not local.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 12:20:28      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

to be fair, bradford council do not have a legal authority to refuse an individual planning application based on anything other than current policy. This drives them to consider each application in isolation which is of course complete nonsense but its all they have. Thry would face huge legal bills under appeal if they refused an application incorrectly so they are stuck to a degree.

With regard to the bypass, i saw something the other day about it being 25 years since the addingham bypass was built. Back then that cost 4 million, for about half a mile of dead straight road across flat land with no cutting or bridges. Bring that forward to today, with the geography involved in building to the line on the old plan (which the inspector at thr time recommend for deletion) and this could easily cost ten times that, if not considerably more. How many developers have to pay into that pot to make it feasible and how many houses does that equate to? On a minor A road from nowhere to nowhere else?

I've saidit before, a HGV ban and reduction in parking on the main street would solve any traffic problems for a fraction of the financial and environmental cost of a bypass

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 16:11:16      reply with quote

Peter on a recent program I saw it said there are 600,000 empty home in this country, don't you think it might be a good idea if the government made the developers restore all of them before they were allowed to build any new ones?
Another idea would be that the government change the way V.A.T. is charged on building work, at present vat is charged on alterations but not on new builds, why don't the swap that round to encourage developers to repair existing homes?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 16:50:58      reply with quote

Peter
why is it all my fault?

Personally I think it would be an excellent idea if existing derelict empty properties were brought back into use and incentive were put in the right place to bring this about. However, the real world is not quite so simplistic and greed rules OK.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 18:08:41      reply with quote

If Silsden is ever to get a bypass then the southern route is really the only option using the existing bridge. But where does the traffic come from?

I do not think there is an excess of HGVs. Many I see are local, or delivering local. OK there is the occasional rat runner, or sat nav follower. There is also the fact that the traffic builds up twice a day, otherwise it is liveable with.

It is a bit like the footbridge plans for the bypass. A percieved problem, but in reality I can get across OK. A bit of patience helps but a foot bridge would rarely have speeded up the overall journey time.

If there were hour long jams in Silsden throughout the day then there would be a problem. At the moment it actually copes.

Housing is needed and any political party who does not sort the problem out is going to have problems. Rent controls will come, councils will have to build social housing for what goes around comes around. Of course councils are not going to build houses and then have them sold under them for a discount so the right to buy system has to be heavily ammended. Rent controls will hit the buy to let and release more property on to the market and then prices will hopefully fall.

600000 surplus properties there might be, but I doubt that most are where people want them. There are also a few other sacred cows to be looked at. What about the rattlers. One and two people in large family houses. Plenty of them in Silsden.

A bypass would ecourage more cars, and do we want that? Maybe the arrival of driverless vehicles will mean 24 hour automatic buses running around Silsden. You might think that a joke, well what was wrist watch video phone 40 years ago!!

Problems often get solved from an unexpected direction. Maybe a bypass is the way to go. But maybe there will be another solution? Maybe our living patterns will change and people will start living nearer to their work. Do we travel to much?

Interesting times.

Replies in this thread : 8

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Has Adrian Naylor lost the plot!!  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to