Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Speed awareness course

Replies in this thread : 5

Author

Topic : Speed awareness course

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 20:44:14      reply with quote

I hold my hands up...I got spotted doing a few miles an hour over the limit,attended a naughty step this week and have to say it was quite eye opening that no one knew the speed limits, what do people think of these courses? And yes before you start I have slowed down
click for more information

blob
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 21:23:45      reply with quote

The one I attended in Huddersfield was rubbish.

The best risk awareness courses I have attended through work do not sanitise the risk and show the impact of what risk you are taking. They showed a few grainy videos of speeding vehicles which didn't show any of the impact or aftermath of those speeding drivers. All the course candidates were adults so there is no need to sanitise stuff and in my opinion learning about the trauma inexcusable speeding can cause would make a greater impact.

I also did not get what the relevance eco driving had on the course. Although I do observe speed limits in built up areas it would actually be more economical to drive faster at constant speed (although this of course would be stupid and reckless) so the eco environmentalist argument is total rubbish!

They also kept going on about reading the Highway Code to remind ourselves of it. I do not understand why for the cost of the course a free up to date copy of the Highway Code could have been provided to encourage candidates to read it.

Last thing is you should be able to provide unbiased feedback on every course you attend to improve it. There was no opportunity to provide any of the above feedback which in my opinion would have improved that particular course. A lot of people attend them just to avoid the points on their license.

It didn't help that I was not really that remorseful about getting caught speeding as I got caught in the bit that used to be a 60 mph speed limit (now 30 mph) on the hill up to Keelham Farm Shop towards Queensbury. This was by a mobile Transit van which is unmarked at the front. He points his gun from the opposite side of the road above the windscreen. There is no need for it to be 30 mph (should be 40 mph) and it is just a money making trap.

Jaguarxjs22
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 21:40:07      reply with quote

I know what you're saying, it was interesting to hear the difference explained between urban and rural policing which causes anger for drivers..

hat
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 21:54:57      reply with quote

I attended one recently at the rendezvous and although there were a couple of good pointers, i agree that in the whole it was a bit of a waste and felt very scripted which of course they are. What amazes me is that they are running these constantly for what must be thousands of drivers.

Are they effective? One woman on the one i did admitted that it was her fourth time attending!

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/11/2015 : 22:48:13      reply with quote

they are only a money making trap for law breakers and speeders ,carefull drivers never complain,theres only one solution dont speedlaugh :D

midway
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2015 : 15:47:02      reply with quote

blob quote
"It didn't help that I was not really that remorseful about getting caught speeding as I got caught in the bit that used to be a 60 mph speed limit (now 30 mph) on the hill up to Keelham Farm Shop towards Queensbury. This was by a mobile Transit van which is unmarked at the front. He points his gun from the opposite side of the road above the windscreen. There is no need for it to be 30 mph (should be 40 mph) and it is just a money making trap".
I think you've got that wrong blob, the section of road you are talking about has never been 60 nor has it been 40,( ever ).

Replies in this thread : 5

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Speed awareness course  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to