Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Making A Come Back

Replies in this thread : 19

Author

Topic : Making A Come Back

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 16:58:38      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

Is nature in our area making a come back, Just been thinking about all the wildlife i was blessed in seeing around Silsden in 2015 things i have not seen much of for many years, Things like the Red Kite, Buzzard, Nuthatch, Willow Tits and only last week a Barn Owl hunting at 1.30pm in the afternoon what a rare sight. What rare wildlife was you lucky enough to see last year???
click for more information

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 17:41:22      reply with quote

Lots of bird species are in decline unfortunately but a lot are doing well. The current spell od bad weather is forcing barn owls to hunt when they can, as their feathers are not waterproof the ability to hunt in rain is not good.

Within a few miles of home I have seen all five native owls, short eared, long eared, barn, tawny and little. An osprey was resident at Swinsty Res for over a week and often in clear view, otters are in all the major rivers now and I was lucky enough to photograph a family of them near Barden this year.

I think the varied habitat has a large part to play, we are so lucky to have woods, moors, waterways and varied pasture land plus more people seem to be interested in wildlife nowadays and like your goodself and Mrs Hillbilly they have feeders to help the birds in tough times.

If people are interested in peregrine falcons I can recommend a day at Malham in spring and summer where the RSPB and the YDNP co-run a viewing point with scopes to look through, this is one of the most successful nest sites in the country and sightings are pretty much, but not totally, guaranteed.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 19:16:25      reply with quote

Still got the two books that i told you about here for you wildlifeman, The kingfisher by Rosemary Eastman 1969 1st edition, And Also Designing wildlife photographs (professional field techniques for great pictures} Joe Mcdonald signed by the author in 1996 (Life Is Good)

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 19:23:27      reply with quote

Hopefully I'll be up next week, been a bit busy with family and other wildlife projects. Will ring you day before I can get there to make sure timing is OK.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 19:38:51      reply with quote

yes had mother and offspring tawney owls in garden tempted by my aviary and goldcrest,pied flycatcher,redstart,jay,bull/gold/green/chaf finches,green and spotted woodpecker,long tailed tits,tree creeper,nuthatch but to name afew off the not so common birds to visit my bird feeder station,the niger seed feeder is a big attraction to most seed eaters and half coconut shells filled with seeds in peanut butter they go mad for that.happy :)happy :)

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 21:06:07      reply with quote

What a lovely array of wild birds in your garden. Unfortunately I live where everyone seems to have at least one cat and some have two or three and they never seem to let them into their houses, so are constantly out in the the open!!

So the only birds I seem to see are blackbirds and house sparrows who regular feed in my garden and drink from my pond!!

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 21:54:38      reply with quote

havent seen many fieldfare this winter, always like to hear them when they are flying over head

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 22:10:26      reply with quote

Plenty of fieldfare and redwings have flown in, don't know if the weather has moved them on but I am not seeing many either, both are lovely to see.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

01/01/2016 : 22:22:46      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by wildlifeman
Plenty of fieldfare and redwings have flown in, don't know if the weather has moved them on but I am not seeing many either, both are lovely to see.
Quite a large flock of redwing were roosting in a willow tree in the croft last time you was up here but not seen or heard any over the last few weeks, So as you say it could be the change in the wether conditions

hat
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 09:57:33      reply with quote

I think the weather has been too warm to tempt them in to the gsrden off the fields but there have been a lot of tits this winter, a woodpecker has been a regular visitor, jays and we now have a pair of robins who seem to be getting together. Collared doves seem to be doing very well also.

Yesterday on a walk up brunthwaite bridge lane we could see and hear a mistle thrush singing its head off

roosterman
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 11:41:33      reply with quote

if it carries on being mild(ish) then birds will be mating and nesting by end of this month, already seen some daffodils out around silsden, dam crazy weather, mind you, be nice if it did stay mild......... then we can all say..... life is good

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 12:45:29      reply with quote

yes got tits looking in the nest boxeshappy :) Spanish omelette ive not had a house sparrow in my garden for years yet 1/4 of a mile away my friend has loads of them cant understand itsad :(

eybygumlad
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 18:54:27      reply with quote

Eyup hillbilly

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 20:07:50      reply with quote

posted by eybygumlad
Eyup hillbilly
Welcome aboard eybygumlad sure you will be adding plemty of sparkle to this forum in the near future

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 20:17:44      reply with quote

eybyeck another aliashappy :)

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 20:41:32      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
eybyeck another aliashappy :)
Defo not an alias doggy, just one of them crazy people who used to jump out of airplanes for a living!!! and i think you will know him well!!!

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 21:00:28      reply with quote

No No No No defiantly not doggy, think about it, who has recently hit the head lines and now wants to contribute to the forum. to my mind its got to be Peter Clarke. makes sense doesn't it. and o yes he's a big mate of hillbilly.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

02/01/2016 : 21:18:32      reply with quote

posted by midway
No No No No defiantly not doggy, think about it, who has recently hit the head lines and now wants to contribute to the forum. to my mind its got to be Peter Clarke. makes sense doesn't it. and o yes he's a big mate of hillbilly.
No No No No No No not a mate of mine that Peter Clark !!! but i have known eybygumlad since i was eight years old a top man and yes he was helping to claan the beck out today

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

03/01/2016 : 12:47:25      reply with quote

Barns owls, hares and a host of other seldom-seen wildlife spotted around region after warm winter

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/barns-owls-hares-and-a-host-of-other-seldom-seen-wildlife-spotted-around-region-after-warm-winter-1-7653499

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/01/2016 : 20:00:18      reply with quote

Changing weather blamed for rise in insect infestations at Airedale Hospital

www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/14179781.Changing_weather_blamed_for_rise_in_insect_infestations_at_Airedale_Hospital/

Replies in this thread : 19

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Making A Come Back  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to