Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > I I've just seen a grittng lorry

Replies in this thread : 18

Author

Topic : I I've just seen a grittng lorry

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2016 : 12:39:13      reply with quote

I've just seen a gritting lorry on my road! Nothing unusual about that you may say, but it only usually happens when we have been sliding up and down the road for at least a week.

The pavements in the town were gritted yesterday morning, what is going on? Is this the new caring Bradford?

click for more information

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2016 : 18:55:18      reply with quote

The constant hostility and sniping about "Bradford" (even when gritted) on this site may be historically understandable but it's not likely to make influential Cllr portfolio holders or key officials look kindly on the town - or the rest of the ward which is equally deserving of their attention and resources. As the centre of the known universe perhaps Silsden could get our 3 elected representatives to try working together on behalf of us all or even meet in the same room. No? Thought not.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2016 : 19:25:59      reply with quote

I suspect the reason our road was gritted today was because up to now we have had a mild winter and the gritting fund is under budget.

As far as being hostile, I think we have good reason to be hostile towards Bradford when we see the money which is spent in Bradford and nothing really spent here... Silsden is seen as an easy touch as an area to build houses and collect money from... and where are the employment opportunities? not in Silsden.

We have 3 Ward Councillors, but only one lives in the Ward, so what interest do Mr Mallinson and #WheresJack have in Silsden when the only time we hear from them is when they want some publicity to further their own political aims - they have no interest in the wellbeing of Silsden.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2016 : 20:20:13      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by paperclip
The constant hostility and sniping about "Bradford" (even when gritted) on this site may be historically understandable but it's not likely to make influential Cllr portfolio holders or key officials look kindly on the town - or the rest of the ward which is equally deserving of their attention and resources. As the centre of the known universe perhaps Silsden could get our 3 elected representatives to try working together on behalf of us all or even meet in the same room. No? Thought not.
If Bradford were to treat all districts of the council area as equal then the sniping would end. But currently nobody can claim Silsden/Craven get a fair deal.
Maybe its because there are no councillors from Bradford's ruling party or the fact that we are seen as a soft touch I dont know.But well done to all those who do speak out for the area.
You can not just sit back and take everything they throw at us.
Its easy to search the internet to find out where the cuts are.Incidently the flowerbeds in Council leader Dave Green's ward will like Silsden be cut but cant see much more.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/01/2016 : 21:38:27      reply with quote

A more extensive search of the internet/forums shows the only people asking for people not to have a go at Bradford are supporters of the ruling party..which says it all really

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 14:34:21      reply with quote

Gazzer is probably right to assume anyone posting on here and suggesting working with rather than against the District Council is likely to be a Labour or Green voter. But what do he and others like him think their constant hostility and refusal to negotiate or even meet will achieve? It's not about party politics. It's about what could get us the best deal in a small fringe ward of a massive local authority with huge financial problems ahead.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 16:42:10      reply with quote

Silsden as a Tory town naturally always thinks that 'Bradford' has it in for them. As a Labour council Bradford is naturally at the end of the queue for largesse from a Tory government. Bradford has to spend according to need. Silsden as an affluent Tory town actually has less need than many other areas. So Silsden is at the end of the queue. Whether or not a Tory council would make any difference is debatable. Whatever their political leanings cities like Bradford have much the same problems for limited budgets. Keep shouting insults at anyone and they can only retaliate in a suitable manner. For a Bradford controlled by Labour shoving whinging Tories to the back makes sense. It certainly what Tory controlled cities do their Labour areas.
Twas always thus.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 19:52:36      reply with quote

posted by paperclip
Gazzer is probably right to assume anyone posting on here and suggesting working with rather than against the District Council is likely to be a Labour or Green voter. But what do he and others like him think their constant hostility and refusal to negotiate or even meet will achieve? It's not about party politics. It's about what could get us the best deal in a small fringe ward of a massive local authority with huge financial problems ahead.
There is no negotiation with Bradford and never has been.I will give an example from a time our mayor was still at school, just so nobody can come back and blame the current Town Council.
When Silsden and Cross Hills needed a new school I think it was West Riding County Council agreed the school should be built in Cross Hills on the basis Silsden School Children would always get free school transport.Following 1974 Bradford Council took over education and before long Silsden parents were paying bus fares.The people of Silsden tried negotiation to no avail and surprise surprise the minutes of the meeting where the agreement was made had disappeared.
If you believe Bradford will take onboard, or ever have you live in cloud cuckoo land.The only way it would ever happen would be a hung council with a Silsden Councillor having the casting vote.

You can not argue with historical facts

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 19:56:06      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Silsden as a Tory town naturally always thinks that 'Bradford' has it in for them. As a Labour council Bradford is naturally at the end of the queue for largesse from a Tory government. Bradford has to spend according to need. Silsden as an affluent Tory town actually has less need than many other areas. So Silsden is at the end of the queue. Whether or not a Tory council would make any difference is debatable. Whatever their political leanings cities like Bradford have much the same problems for limited budgets. Keep shouting insults at anyone and they can only retaliate in a suitable manner. For a Bradford controlled by Labour shoving whinging Tories to the back makes sense. It certainly what Tory controlled cities do their Labour areas.
Twas always thus.
It does not and never has mattered who is in government or control of Bradford Silsden, because of its affluence and geography is the bottom of the list for services but top for dumping new housing on

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 22:12:22      reply with quote

Silsden was absorbed into Bradford with the 1972 local government act. Guess who was in power at the time.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 22:55:51      reply with quote

This has come along way from the Gritting lorry..

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 23:12:12      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Silsden was absorbed into Bradford with the 1972 local government act. Guess who was in power at the time.
Based on boundries from a commission set up by the previous Government.It was going to happen whoever was in power.Both parties have been in power since but nothing has been changed by either party

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2016 : 08:44:37      reply with quote

hell i thought this thread was about gritting lorries,anyway saw 2 in 15 mins on the main st last saturday poss the same one as the second one was comming the other way poss went to north yorks border and turned round.happy :)

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/01/2016 : 12:43:29      reply with quote

Send re-inforcements we are are going to advance -------------> send three and fourpence we are going to a dance!!!!!!!

Seriously point taken. Mind you checking out the 1972 local government re-organisation, which is the basis for the problem has been an interesting exercise.

While it was the Heath government that started the process I do believe it had cross party support. There were a lot of structural problems that needed addressing. At the time big is beautiful was the mantra so localisation was marginalised.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/01/2016 : 08:27:43      reply with quote

posted by paperclip
But what do he and others like him think their constant hostility and refusal to negotiate or even meet will achieve? It's not about party politics. It's about what could get us the best deal in a small fringe ward of a massive local authority with huge financial problems ahead.
So a ward Councillor and a few others worked with Bradford to move the library to the Town Hall with a promise of a better library service from the councillor(Mallinson).
This is an example of how you see local politics should work.Work with Bradford to get the best deal.
However it turns out that, like I keep saying Bradford do not care about Silsden and 18 months down the line they want to wash their hands of Silsden Library.

This is what Mr Mallinson now has to say about the result of sitting down to negotiate with Bradford
"Cllr Mallinson said he was “disgusted” that efforts to create a modern library in Silsden, massively increasing library usage, could have all been for nothing."

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

21/01/2016 : 18:52:36      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by paperclip
But what do he and others like him think their constant hostility and refusal to negotiate or even meet will achieve? It's not about party politics. It's about what could get us the best deal in a small fringe ward .
I am getting flak for wanting to call Bradford Council to account. Talking to them never has and I doubt ever will make any difference. I have given historical examples and heres a recent example from last night.

" The meeting of the full council – the first since the floods – heard the devastation had cost the district an estimated £5 million. It saw all parties agree to a comprehensive review of how the authority and other bodies handled the situation and what can be done to prevent similar scenes from happening in the future.

Councillors shared hair-raising stories from their own constituencies about how people had been affected by the floods.

But the members of the authority's leading Labour group and the Liberal Democrats did not support amendments by two independent councillors for Ilkley and Craven wards.

Cllr Anne Hawkesworth (Ind, Ilkley) called on Bradford Council to follow the intentions of York, Leeds and Calderdale authorities and reassess the suitability of local sites for development in the light of the recent floods.

Consultation on the Core Strategy of Bradford's Local Plan – which allocates 1,000 new homes to Ilkley itself – closed yesterday.

Cllr Hawkesworth said: "My amendment is self-explanatory to anyone who drove along the A65 on December 28. They saw fields allocated for development in the Strategic Housing Land Allocation Assessment under water."

And Cllr Adrian Naylor (Ind, Craven) failed to win overall support for an amendment recommending a review on any watercourses owned or managed by Bradford Council. He identified Silsden Beck, Backstone Beck in Ilkley and Bridgehouse Beck in Haworth as water courses in need of attention.

Both also asked for more attention to gully clearing."

Its obvious to see that these ammendments should have been passed but Labour controlled Bradford with Lib support voted against. Someone explain why and what good talking about it did.

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

22/01/2016 : 19:54:23      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Peter
I've just seen a gritting lorry on my road! Nothing unusual about that you may say, but it only usually happens when we have been sliding up and down the road for at least a week.

The pavements in the town were gritted yesterday morning, what is going on? Is this the new caring Bradford?

Peter i saw something just as scarce as your gritting lorry today !!! It was Elvis Presley in a U.F.O. been chased by Ronnie Pickering

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/01/2016 : 20:16:24      reply with quote

I see you are on the tinnies again. happy :)

hillbilly
Website Member

Website Member

22/01/2016 : 20:32:57      reply with quote

posted by Peter
I see you are on the tinnies again. happy :)

No not tinnies Peter !!! it's Friday (MALT WHISKY)

Replies in this thread : 18

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > I I've just seen a grittng lorry  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to