Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > why don't the town council have their own website

Replies in this thread : 5

Author

Topic : why don't the town council have their own website

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 12:18:01      reply with quote

just a thought, I think silsden town council are the only council I have come across who do not have their own website, which in this day and age is a bit behind the times.It is a good way to connect with people directly without piggybacking on someone elses site.Most peoples beef with the council is lack of communication so what is stopping them I wonder
click for more information

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 13:15:09      reply with quote

ginjo raises an interesting issue. Modern communication methods would suggest the local council should have their own website, to help local businesses as well as a channel to tell everyone how their money is being spent by their council, and what councillors are doing for the town.
Peter does an amazing job with this site, but what if he moved away, became ill, got fed up? The alternative is to have an official town site, where people can openly discuss issues without too much moderation, and feel the site belongs to them.
The town pays nearly 50k each year in local precept, there are substantial reserves in the bank, and maybe we should look at this..
No criticism of Peter here, he does a great job at his own time and expense, but he could maybe help to set up a new site... his legacy for future generations..

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 20:00:42      reply with quote

Totaly agree . Its the easiest and by far the most cost effective way of communicating with the community .

Costs
The hosting company I use has plans from approx 0.50 to 1.00 per week . That includes domain name reg ( I use a .com but .net .info ect are available ) unlimmited bandwidth , storage ,sub domains & software to run web site ( wordpress , web forums , cloud storage ect .
I have been running web forums for 12 yrs & would be happy to offer help with advice . If anybody want details of the host i use please contact .

But why stop at just a web site , what about a web cam at meetings then everybody can see whats happening ( just like Westminster !! )

bandnwire
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 20:09:00      reply with quote

Wouldn't it just be simpler to attend the Council meetings and ask your questions, unless you wish to remain anonymous of course, as on here.

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 20:23:15      reply with quote

" Wouldn't it just be simpler to attend the Council meetings and ask your questions, unless you wish to remain anonymous of course, as on here. "
Of course it would , just arrange for the meetings to start at 9.00 to 10.00 pm & I would be happy to attend . Unfortunately that won't happen neither will work commitments stop happenning . The days of people living and working in Silsden have long gone . In todays world many don't get home till late & by the time they have eaten changed ect , meetings ( STC & others ) have started / finished .
As for remaining anonymous if that was the case shurely I wouldn't have made my offer of advice .

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/01/2016 : 21:26:16      reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea but on the same basis as other councils. Pay someone(Peter maybe) who is not on the council.Obviously no forum...there is a reason councils dont do forums. But it could be used for information

Replies in this thread : 5

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > why don't the town council have their own website  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to