Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to I'm looking for...... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > Setting-up a Hair Salon in Silsden

Replies in this thread : 13

Author

Topic : Setting-up a Hair Salon in Silsden

millisalon
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2016 : 05:24:02      reply with quote

Me and my partner David are looking to move to Silsden from Wakefield where we currently reside. We are moving to be closer to David's family. I have a hair salon in Wakefield so will be transferring my business to Silsden if a move proves viable. We haven't had chance to scope out the area properly ourselves so far so was just wondering what peoples opinions were? Peter had pointed out that there's already a number of salons in Silsden so maybe the market is too saturated. Eve if there was a slight commute outside of Silsden, that wouldn't be too much of a problem as long as it was a good location and we could acquire a customer base.
click for more information

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2016 : 09:01:42      reply with quote

There are FAR too many hair salons in Silsden - the last thing we need is yet another one moving into the village taking business away from the one that are already established.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2016 : 09:57:32      reply with quote

completely agree, there are already 4 gents hairdressers and 6 or 7 ladies so definitely no room for anymore.Not sure whether steeton maybe a possibility, might be worth looking into

millisalon
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2016 : 10:45:17      reply with quote

OK, well that's three people already who think Silsden is too densely populated with salons and barbers as it is. The last thing I'd want is to barge in and steal other businesses customers when they're already fighting for clients due to over-saturation. Hair salons and barbers are either ten to the dozen or you just have one or two and clearly with Silsden, its not the latter. I'll check out Steeton and other surrounding areas. Having a business that isn't too far away from our home is really the plan so I'd hope we can live in Silsden but setup shop somewhere not too far away.

Thanks, Milli

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

04/02/2016 : 22:49:14      reply with quote

Welcome to Silsden
Come and have a look and see what you think. There are a lot of Hairdressers but they all seem busy! Maybe Silsden ladies like having lovely hair! Don't be put off.
Good luck with your new venture
x

millisalon
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 03:06:23      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thanks KVS, we do need to go and have a proper look at Silsden and the surrounding places like you said so this really was just to get a locals viewpoint before we do. We know that if we did setup shop in an already catered for market then we would have to be unique and competitive on prices. We wouldn't want to harm others businesses but there does seem like a high demand there. I'm imaging when we get there to look around, there will be lots of very well groomed people walking the streets. Hopefully we'll get down this weekend.

millisalon
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 03:35:56      reply with quote

It is definitely dependant on whether we can offer something unique and competitive to draw people in. Our current shop is a little dated and basic. All the equipment is a bit worn and tired looking. We're therefore very keen on revamping our image and I'd rather do that starting afresh over in Silsden if viable. We'll need to have a nice clean shop, a good reception desk and seating area, good quality equipment, with quality fittings and facilities. I've found a nice antique barbers chair for sale at 350 here www.for-sale.co.uk/barbers-chair. It might sound a lot to spend on a chair but if you had two or three of those in your shop, you'd definitely look classy and would stand-out from competition. We spent about 70 on our current chairs but you can clearly see the difference in quality. For the customer, a comfortable chair, obviously a good haircut and then a good ambience are some of the key things you'd look for.

It has to be the whole package. If we spent money on nice equipment etc then we wouldn't figure that into our prices and we'd still stay competitive. We'd just be happy to spend our days working somewhere that feels good and welcoming. Our current place has the ambiance but it does depress me looking at the furnishings and equipment sometimes. We keep it clean of course but it still feels worn. We've got the money now to inject into our business so a long think, a thrashing of ideas and a good old look at the area in person, is now called for.

Harvey spicer
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 07:03:12      reply with quote

if you think Silsden is saturated you should see Ilkley, theres something like 24 ladies hair salons,
thing is they all seem to thrive.

with most hair salons , clients usually stick with the person they know, often when that person moves the clients move with them
setting up in Silsden where there are already a lot wouldn't (in my opinion ) be detrimental to the ones already there, unless they are poor and are fearful of losing trade , after all its only competition.

if you start from scratch you may pick up the new people who moved to town, you may pick up people who go out of town, and you may pick up one or two from the other salons, but the implication that the current salons will all suffer because someone new opens is harsh and not really accurate,

I know well 2 ladies who own salons in Silsden, and if you asked them they wouldn't really care about another at all. they started from scratch and didn't harm any one ..........

if you moved in and did it better, cheaper or offered something new then its up to those already there to up their game,
its called competition in business happy :)

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 08:09:53      reply with quote

Silsden is a Tory town where they love the free market. If you reckon you are better than those ready here then by all means,set up shop. If another business falls off because of your arrival then tough.

Silsden welcomed Aldi so it would 'sort out' the Co-Operative. Must have worked, Co-Operative is still here.

Also hundreds of new houses to be built with plenty of potential customers.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 08:24:11      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Silsden is a Tory town

In your opinion and not even Mr Corbyn wants to nationalize the beauty industry.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 08:29:04      reply with quote

Stop it.

Please don't bring politics into this topic, it isn't necessary and isn't required.

millisalon
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 08:54:47      reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comments. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 12:37:32      reply with quote

posted by Peter
Stop it.

Please don't bring politics into this topic, it isn't necessary and isn't required.

Exactly Peter.Idealy Silsden needs a mix of business services and as long as its not like takeaways where there was a run of short lived owners then crack on and lets have a vibrant high street

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

05/02/2016 : 16:21:21      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by gazzer
posted by old_miner
Silsden is a Tory town

In your opinion and not even Mr Corbyn wants to nationalize the beauty industry.
One MP
Two councillors currently Tories
One councillor ex Tory.

What have I missed?

Replies in this thread : 13

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > Setting-up a Hair Salon in Silsden  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to