Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > New School at Drabble House.

Replies in this thread : 139
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

12/02/2016 : 16:27:11      reply with quote

Just a thought about the proposed new school.
Joining the infants and juniors together is a great money saving idea for management staff, but do they need to be all in one school.
By adding a new 2 story building where the old “Horsa Huts” used to be in the infant school giving room for maybe 100 children.
A two story building covering that whole area would give maybe 8 new classrooms and cloakrooms for maybe 200 children.
If the old gym at the junior school had another floor added it would house 4 classrooms, enough for at least 100 children, or replace the building.
If the swimming pool was replaced with a new building, swimming pool below and a classroom next door and 2 above, another 75 children.
It 2 or 3 classrooms for the older age group were built incorporating the youth club another 75 children and probably little extra traffic as most would go to school on their own.
For both schools if too many children in the playground at playtime then stagger the ages and play times, even lunch times.
This would be a fraction of the costs needed to build on big new school, and the traffic would be much the same as it is now.
Or, sell the infant school for housing and move them into the junior school and build a new junior school ar Drabble House, staggering start and finishing times to allow parents do deliver and pick up their children from both sites.
As I said, just a though…..
click for more information

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

12/02/2016 : 22:26:34      reply with quote

posted by skippy
midway Cllr ralph berry was the portfolio holder, victor the new school will affect loads of people, and I assume Bradford will go out to consultation as and when they have something to consult on, hope this helps.
Just a guess but Bradford will consult after the decision has been made!!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2016 : 22:24:26      reply with quote

Bradford given £23.8m boost to tackle 'growing school places crisis

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14369966.Bradford_given___23_8m_boost_to_tackle__growing_school_places_crisis_/

thanet
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2016 : 16:04:09      reply with quote

just an idea instead of building those new houses across from the school maybe a new school there would have been a good plan. think about the poor people who already have their back gardens looking onto that field they will not be happy and will find it hard to sell their homes too

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2016 : 18:12:56      reply with quote

thanat my home backs onto the fields concerned and I would rather have a school which would benefit the children of Silsden built on the fields than 4 bedroomed houses.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2016 : 19:18:00      reply with quote

Update, Brad' Met'are trying to buy another field. Looks like it's more sensible with access from Howden road.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2016 : 19:28:31      reply with quote

Midway they are also trying to buy the field at the end of Hawber cote drive which is not part of Drabble house farm.

nabend
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2016 : 07:33:27      reply with quote

You can bet your boots that by the time the school is open, it will be half full with pupils from Keighley.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2016 : 19:20:12      reply with quote

posted by nabend
You can bet your boots that by the time the school is open, it will be half full with pupils from Keighley.
You are right nabend, but when the new school becomes an Academy in due course, it will hopefully prevent political forces continuing to fill the school with Keighley children. It will be run by local people instead of Bradford Council. Got to be a better system for parents of the town... and education standards might be better as well.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

24/03/2016 : 19:30:37      reply with quote

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14380860.Changes_to_Silsden_housing_scheme_on_former_Cavalier_Harrison_site/

Mallinson trying to get the school built on the King Cole site which already has planning permission for brownfield houses. Too late and kettle/pot black?

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

25/03/2016 : 14:33:26      reply with quote

blob had cllr mallinson attended the meetings with the officers about the new school with adrian naylor and me as he should of done, he would of known this site was dismissed right back in the begining as being too small along with a no of sites adrian naylor and myself put forward. again typical of mallinson take the money but dont put the hours in.

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 12:01:48      reply with quote

I attended a meeting a few weeks ago. Bradford Council are at advanced stages in acquiring the land necessary for the location of the new school. Unfortunately the council representative could not confirm the location as any public knowledge could affect the negotiations. The council have had a traffic survey completed, and have come to the conclusion that overall traffic levels will not increase significantly across the village due to the new school, and a proposed one way system will minimise disruption locally to the position of the new school - I questioned the findings of the survey as in my opinion the right questions have not been asked and the survey seems simplified in it's findings. For example overall traffic levels will only increase slightly but they will be heavily concentrated in a single location.
Bradford council are hoping that the purchase of land will be concluded shortly, planning will take 3-6 months and the new school will be open in September 2018. This all seems a bit ambitious to me knowing the timeframes for other schools that have been rebuilt across the district.
I think this needs a joined up strategy with the school, the local concillors (if they could all sit in a meeting and do the right thing for the children of Silsden instead of political point scoring), and Bradford council, to ensure that at the end of the process, Silsden end up with a school, in the right place, that has minimal disruption to local residents, pupils and parents, has adequate facilities to provide a comprehensive range of education, and provides a lasting legacy for the community as a whole.
I firmly believe it isn't too late to achieve this goal but all parties need to come together and put party politics and self interests to one side.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 16:32:35      reply with quote

will this be a privately financed school, and how does the governments new policy of every school becoming an academy tie in.Can any clues be given as to whether the site is north south east or west

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 16:47:14      reply with quote

If the council add to the land they own, then the school becomes an academy the school will have to pay market price to the council...nice earner for Bradmet

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 17:53:02      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Haven't Bradford just been given 23m from the government for the provision of new schools?

Correction to my comment above:

TWO Keighley-district schools have won Government cash for improvements.

St Anne's RC Primary in Keighley and South Craven School at Cross Hills are sharing in a region-wide £24.8 million pot.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 18:19:41      reply with quote

davidaloud
Silsden Town Council have always do the right thing for all of the people of Silsden, if you have attended their meetings you would know that.
Stating the facts re just how little Mallinson does for the Town is not Political points scoring.
The electors have a right to know.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 19:29:58      reply with quote

posted by Peter
Haven't Bradford just been given 23m from the government for the provision of new schools?

Correction to my comment above:

TWO Keighley-district schools have won Government cash for improvements.

St Anne's RC Primary in Keighley and South Craven School at Cross Hills are sharing in a region-wide £24.8 million pot.

I think it is two awards

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14369966.Bradford_given___23_8m_boost_to_tackle__growing_school_places_crisis_/

www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/14384849.Keighley_and_Cross_Hills_schools_share_in___24_8_million_Government_payout_for_improvements/

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 19:32:55      reply with quote

posted by davidaloud
. The council have had a traffic survey completed,
I can assure you there has been no meaningful traffic survey anywhere near the site of the proposed new school.

Just out of interest what was the meeting and in what capacity did you attend.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 20:38:35      reply with quote

The full article from Alistair Shand Keighley-district schools have won Government cash for improvements.
Seventy-eight schools and sixth-form colleges throughout Yorkshire and the Humber are benefitting from the funds, for building upgrades and expansions.
South Craven School has been awarded £540,000 to replace temporary classrooms.
Headteacher Dr Andrew Cummings said: "We are delighted that our bid for a new three-classroom teaching block has been successful.
"The block will allow us to remove three temporary classrooms and provide students and staff with a quality environment in which to work."
St Anne's School, in North Street, has received £61,000 to replace its heating system.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 21:13:03      reply with quote

Apologies for wading in but once again things appear to be so short sighted. Silsden has only one main road through it and together with new housing, the re-location of the "new" school is going to have an impact on the already dire traffic situation in Silsden centre during peak times.
I understand that there may be vehicular access via Middleway or the top of Howden Road? The junction of Clogg Bridge and Kirkate is surely bad enough as it is.
As the "new" school will no doubt have to expand in the future to cater for the ever increasing Silsden population, surely there must be scope to have access from Bolton Road above the allotments.
Other modern schools have one way systems drawing vehicles off the public roads to drop off areas within the school grounds.
Silsden is simply going to become grid locked in the near future, and I agree with all those people who are saying that we are throwing up houses and schools with no thought to the impact they are going to have on our village.

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

26/03/2016 : 23:40:04      reply with quote

Grandad - my comment wasn't pointed at any single councillor, it was directed at all interested parties to get together and have a joint approach rather that everyone pulling in different directions. I don't need to attend the meetings, I read the minutes and the local press and can see quite clearly how well our representatives work in unison.

I agree with your comments that we all deserve to know what is happening, and the sooner the better to move things forward.

And by the way, I don't hide behind a Pseudonym, my login is my name and until recently I had been a very active member of the school governing body for a number of years, so i am acutely aware of the benefits that would come with a joined up school with brand new facilities.
solid wood flooring

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

15/06/2016 : 15:26:01      reply with quote

posted by midway
Update, Brad' Met'are trying to buy another field. Looks like it's more sensible with access from Howden road.

Any update on this?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

15/06/2016 : 17:33:54      reply with quote

The Howden road entrance is no longer being considered as an option, that still leaves Dale View and Middleway.

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

15/06/2016 : 19:26:07      reply with quote

Midway, can I ask where you get your info from? I don't for one minute disbelieve it, I'd just like to know how far this process has gone and also when are the powers that be going to inform residents. Thanks.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

15/06/2016 : 22:24:41      reply with quote

mayflower--- your inquiries re, where the information comes from can be found in previous replies, please read specifically those by skippy. to my knowledge negotiations to acquire the necessary land are not yet finalized. hope this helps

Alan Grop
Website Member

Website Member

17/06/2016 : 09:40:39      reply with quote

What about a much needed secondary School for the Town.
Its ridiculous all our 11-16 year olds have to travel miles to get to school.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

17/06/2016 : 10:10:22      reply with quote

most secondary school children have to travel to get to school, back in the sixties I had a 15 min walk to bus stop, 20 mins on bus then a 20 min walk to the school, school did not finish till 4-10 so not home till after 5pm unlike the kids from south craven school.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2016 : 15:53:04      reply with quote

Finally confirmed after a closed door session at bradford
www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14631002.Site_revealed_for_new_Silsden_school/

midway
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2016 : 16:07:13      reply with quote

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2016 : 17:09:39      reply with quote

If the newspaper report is correct, the new school will be called Hothfield Primary School. Why not Silsden Primary School? Or is that too logical?

Grandparent
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2016 : 18:22:38      reply with quote

It's not illogical its political, have you not noticed, Silsden is never allowed anything by that lot. Rarely referred to as a town, just grouped in with villages, doesn't appear on the large green road sign, either at steeton roundabout or addingham, although steeton and addingham appear on both. We only exist to fund Bradford.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2016 : 20:36:08      reply with quote

posted by dexter
If the newspaper report is correct, the new school will be called Hothfield Primary School. Why not Silsden Primary School? Or is that too logical?
I would suggest the name is to make sure that the kids from Hothfield school still have a right to go on to South Craven, the same has they do now, if the name was changed you could bet Bradford would insist that they got to Greenhead.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2016 : 10:48:05      reply with quote

grandad... they will do that anyway, North Yorkshire will not keep to bargain on South Craven for ever as pressure mounts on their numbers. I don't think it's up to Bradford to decide on that...!
Maybe someone with council knowledge could pursue this?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2016 : 15:57:46      reply with quote

Look at this link from a previous post ( does give some useful advise).
silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=641&recordnum=15#.V5DgMKIXEgQ

victor
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2016 : 17:33:04      reply with quote

In the Keighley news it says the new school is to be called Aire View.

Replies in this thread : 139
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > New School at Drabble House.  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to