Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > New School at Drabble House.

Replies in this thread : 139
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Shazza
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2016 : 20:33:53      reply with quote

From August 31st 2017 Hothfield School as a school will no longer exist,the 2 schools are merging under Aire View's unique references number. The name of the school, I would imagine be decided by the joint governing body if they are to change it.
click for more information

kvs
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2016 : 23:07:45      reply with quote

What are anyone's thoughts on the access and exit points of the site?

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 07:05:26      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by kvs
Absolutely bloody criminal! By all accounts, the headcount at the proposed site isn't that much greater than the current units. Access was proposed as two sets of one way, which would be problematic in itself. Access up the side of the cemetery will decimate known bat habitats. This is a key part of the conservation area and will lose more greenbelt land which is NOT an infinite resource.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 07:46:02      reply with quote

posted by kvs
Access is the main issue here. Dale vew/ banklands junction onto bolton road is simply dangerous as it is. Any other point of access has to come via clogg bridge which is choked as it is. How this site is considered feasible when there are available sites directly on keighley road is beyond me.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 07:46:58      reply with quote

Enlighten us as to what exactly has been proposed for access to the new school site. The last newspaper article I read was a lot of theories but nothing actually confirmed.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 08:30:28      reply with quote

I assume the additional land has been purchased conditional of planning being granted? Otherwise they may well have just bought some prime grazing land. Not sure how Snell are going to sell their £400k houses when they back right onto the perimeter fence

victor
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 13:25:36      reply with quote

If Dale view, Banklands lane Hawber cote lane is to be used as access to the school and the exit is onto Howden road then that is possible. The problem comes when people are dropping the kids off and picking them up. Trying to get out of Dale view onto Bolton road is bad now what will it be like when lots more cars are trying to turn onto Dale view.

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 13:33:13      reply with quote

Traffic lights, Bradford's answer to all traffic problems. sad :(

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 14:33:15      reply with quote

Traffic lights are an essential traffic management tool. Relying on common sense and courtesy is no good.

Of course the children could all walk to school. No where in Silsden is beyond walking distance to the proposed site. Well not compared with distance I walked to my infant and primary school.

Do not have a link but search on YouTube for children, US Prison and Persil. I saw this film first time at a cinema and was horrified.

Called Free the kids - dirt is good and suggested search criteria went straight to it.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 16:14:52      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Traffic lights are an essential traffic management tool. Relying on common sense and courtesy is no good.

Of course the children could all walk to school. No where in Silsden is beyond walking distance to the proposed site. Well not compared with distance I walked to my infant and primary school.

Do not have a link but search on YouTube for children, US Prison and Persil. I saw this film first time at a cinema and was horrified.

Called Free the kids - dirt is good and suggested search criteria went straight to it.
Old miner, surely you cannot be impudent enough that the "little darlings" walk anything over 50 yards??? The very concept of walking is beyond some of them! I know of some that live 100 away from Hothfield Street and are still delivered to the gate. I wouldn't mind if the parents then went off to start a days work, but no, they return home and park the car up.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 17:03:05      reply with quote

Look what I found when I was looking for something else happy :)

Sustainable travel to school strategy

Healthier, safer and more active journeys to school

It is important to think about how your child gets to and from school, particularly when applying for school places. Although some children are entitled to free transport to school, many need to make their own way there.

Children who walk or cycle to school tend to be healthier, fitter and more alert in class than children who are driven. In addition, these more sustainable journeys reduce congestion, help combat climate change and reduce air pollution.

Leaving the car at home has real benefits for you and your child.

............there is more here on Bradford's website:
https://www.bradford.gov.uk/education-and-skills/travel-assistance/sustainable-travel-to-school-strategy/

.... and even a strategy document:
https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/2397/sustainable-school-travel-strategy.pdf

Of course none of this will apply to us when they build a school on the other side of the town to where the children live. sad :(

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 17:38:38      reply with quote

no planning permission applied for yet but you all MOAN . a new school is required as no room at other 2 schools ,kids cannot get in so we allMOAN now we have a new school in the offing and yes you all MOAN, get a life and be grateful that bfd are spending money here in silsden. oh and stop MOANING YOU UNGRATEFUL LOT.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 19:12:01      reply with quote

Well said skippy... and the children will enjoy having a brand new school in the town!

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 20:30:27      reply with quote

posted by skippy
no planning permission applied for yet but you all MOAN . a new school is required as no room at other 2 schools ,kids cannot get in so we allMOAN now we have a new school in the offing and yes you all MOAN, get a life and be grateful that bfd are spending money here in silsden. oh and stop MOANING YOU UNGRATEFUL LOT.
WELL IN SKIPPY COULD`NT AGREE MORE!!!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 20:57:02      reply with quote

be grateful that bfd are spending money here in silsden
Did they have a choice?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2016 : 21:22:38      reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and nobody has shown any disdain towards the school, it's obvious access to the site, during construction, and on completion is going to blight the lives of residents on this side of the town. ( a fact ).

davidaloud
Website Member

Website Member

24/07/2016 : 20:42:54      reply with quote

I applaud the long awaited decision that Silsden is to have a new school. The existing buildings and facilities are not conducive with modern teaching and a new school is desperately needed.

For a number of years I have argued that the most suitable site would have been the old Weavestyle factory site. It is close to existing sporting facilities that could have been incorporated and extended to provide a whole community resource. Access via Sykes lane would have meant a very short section where children walking to school from the main part of town would have been on the main road, which could very easily have been made safe by the use of barriers and traffic controls.

I am assuming that the council will at some point make available the detail behind the chosen site. If not then it should certainly be asked for under freedom of information. My fear is that rather than it being the most suitable site to maximise the educational potential of Silsden children, the over-riding factor will have been cost, as the local authority had already purchased a large section of the land previously (maybe when it was part of the larger UDP plans for the district that included a new bypass).

Can the council confirm the budget allocation for the school. It appears as though it is a closely guarded secret. There are 7 secondary schools presently being replaced most of which are located in the Bradford District. The funding for these is well documented.

It would be nice to know what the budget is, what facilities the school will have in aspects of classroom provision, performance, sports, recreation etc. Again we must insist that sufficient funding is made available to provide the most appropriate facilities, from the sizes of classrooms to the number of electrical sockets on the wall to the IT Infrastructure to the sports and recreational facilities,etc in addition to suitable access routes to ensure that Silsden can fully function even at school times.

Bradford councillors please understand that you are not trusted by large sections of the society in the wards outside of Bradford. This appearance of secrecy just fuels the fire. We all understand that there are times when negotiation pricing you are best keeping things close to your chest, but this isn't a game of Poker, it's our kids education we're taking about and as tax payers we have a right to be provided with the information and the background to the decisions that affect the area in which we live.

If this was a school report I would say to the council 'Doing well but could do better' 6/10

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 09:34:45      reply with quote

Concerns have been raised about the planned location for Silsden’s new primary school.

District councilor Andrew Mallinson believes the proposed site, above Silsden Park and Daisy Hill, is on the wrong side of town.

Read more...

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14677528.Concern_over_planned_location_for_new_Silsden_primary_school/

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 11:23:15      reply with quote

I agree, we should not be using green fields when there is a large brownfield site on Keighley road. It is amazing what is being allowed to happen in Silsden at the moment!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 11:27:58      reply with quote

posted by Peter
Concerns have been raised about the planned location for Silsden’s new primary school.

District councilor Andrew Mallinson believes the proposed site, above Silsden Park and Daisy Hill, is on the wrong side of town.

Read more...

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14677528.Concern_over_planned_location_for_new_Silsden_primary_school/

A bit like a broken clock is actually telling the right time a couple of times a day, so too Mallinson is right a few times.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 11:45:11      reply with quote

Will Brad Met take any notice of concerns raised by local councillor,? I doubt they will. It may be a case of having to resort to people power to gather and protest their feelings to Brad Met. The voice of the people in other parts of the U.K have managed to change council decisions on bad policy calls.
solid wood flooring

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 13:33:33      reply with quote

Count me in.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 13:48:31      reply with quote

What a load of tosh. You would think that Silsden is a big city. I walked further than the distance across Silsden to school when I was 5.

More a NIMBY problem.

Bricol
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 14:42:01      reply with quote

So did I, as did my parents. And back home for lunch.

Problem is now of course, is it's too dangerous for kids to walk anywhere. Might get tired. Or actually have to look up from their phone to see where they are going.

So I can see a massive problem two times a day with traffic and really crap parking, thus actually making it dangerous for the three kids who still walk anywhere.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 15:25:04      reply with quote

The map shown below is on the Bradford website under the heading of:

Sustainable travel to school maps The red circle, centred on Hothfield Street, is the the current area considered sustainable for children travelling to school upto the age of 11. The green half-circle is a circle of the same radius which shows the sustainable travel area when the school moves to the Drabble House site.

Ref: https://www.bradford.gov.uk/education-and-skills/travel-assistance/sustainable-travel-to-school-maps/?Folder=Primary%20Schools\F+to+J

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/Documents/SustainableSchoolTravel/Primary%20Schools/F%20to%20J//Hothfield%20Junior%20School.pdf

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 16:48:50      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
What a load of tosh. You would think that Silsden is a big city. I walked further than the distance across Silsden to school when I was 5.

More a NIMBY problem.
I know we don't often agree, but this time I do.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 20:55:26      reply with quote

Is that circle for real? I have seen plenty of kids walking down from Howden Road well outside that circle. Sure a radius has not been converted to diameter?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 21:56:31      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Is that circle for real? I have seen plenty of kids walking down from Howden Road well outside that circle. Sure a radius has not been converted to diameter?
Why bother to ask, just click on the links I have provided as reference and see for yourself. 5 year olds should not be expected to walk miles to school, walk yes, but there is a limit. They cannot walk on their own, it's not safe these days - too much traffic for one thing.

With the school at Drabble House more than half the population of Silsden will be outside the sustainable distance for travel to the Silsden Primary School. The result will be traffic chaos twice a day - even more congestion than there is at the moment.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

12/08/2016 : 23:12:34      reply with quote

Are you certain the red circle is correct? given that In order to comply with their home to school transport duties local authorities
must, among other things: Provide free transport for all pupils of compulsory school age (5-16) if their nearest suitable school is: Beyond 2 miles (if below the age of 8) or Beyond 3 miles (if aged between 8 and 16). Because the distance as the crow fly's from Kildwick Grange to Drabble house is 1.73mls ( just a guide of distance ).

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

13/08/2016 : 08:52:09      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Don't shoot the messenger.

The Bradford web pages state the maps show sustainable school travel. The links are on my post above, look for yourself.

PS This is Bradford's explanation of what "Sustainable Travel to School" means

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/education-and-skills/travel-assistance/sustainable-travel-to-school/

PPS

The red circle on the sustainable travel to school map has a radius of 0.5 miles. This is the distance beyond which children under the age of 10 are less likely to walk to school. This is shown in the chart below:

The chart was taken from Bradford's website from this document:

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/2397/sustainable-school-travel-strategy.pdf

The bottom line is - more than half the population of Silsden with children between ages 5-10 that will go to the new Silsden School at the Drabble Farm will use a vehicle to attend the school - twice a day.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

13/08/2016 : 14:51:53      reply with quote

Basically there figures are based on the present situation where the school run predominates. So it is academic where the school is situated. This supports my thoughts that the opposition to the Drabble site is NIMBY having the school run down your street.

The problem is to reduce or eliminate the school run. Those of us of a certain age know that nowhere in Silsden is too far to walk to school.

This is a national problem so blaming Bradford is pointless. Unless or until there is a cultural change with regard to our ability to travel easily in our own powered vehicles I cannot see a solution.

If you want to keep and use that motor car then these are the sorts of problems we will all have to learn to live with.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

13/08/2016 : 19:04:32      reply with quote

I feel it is unfair to say that those who question the Drabble House site are NIMBYs unless it can be evidenced that the many objectors reside in that vicinity or that there objections are based soley on a " well we don't want it here" basis.
Many people are justifiably concerned that the population of Silsden is set to grow and grow, and that the infrastructure is just not in place and is a matter that should be addressed first. Locations where we have built a supermarket and where we are building houses would surely have been a more appropriate use of land rather that building on green fields, regardless of which side of town it would have been.

munchkin20
Website Member

Website Member

13/08/2016 : 20:30:58      reply with quote

I think Drabble House is an excellent place for our new school. The children of Silsden have had to work in far from satisfactory conditions for far too long. They don't have any green space to play on within their school grounds. It will be wonderful for them to have a lovely inspiring place to go every day surrounded by countryside. Let's face it, there would be traffic problems wherever the new school was situated and you can't please everyone all of the time, so please don't begrudge our children a nice place to go to school.

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

13/08/2016 : 22:04:44      reply with quote

Well put Happy Walker 😊 and Thankyou Peter for the info. There will also be morning and afternoon sessions for Nursery age children to factor into this, 3&4 year olds. The access to this site is along narrow roads, which have parked cars and bottlenecks already!! Not to mention delivery vehicles to the school. Surely more thought needs to go into this.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

13/08/2016 : 22:26:15      reply with quote

Yes they will be able to look out of the class room window and enjoy the changing seasons of the oak trees, but better be quick building the school because when the houses are built in the for ground, they won't be there.

And the bats that roost in the trees? well they will just have to clear off, like they did when the turkey sheds were demolished.

Replies in this thread : 139
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > New School at Drabble House.  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to