Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Your Bank & The Post Office

Replies in this thread : 13

Author

Topic : Your Bank & The Post Office

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2016 : 14:56:44      reply with quote

I did not know until yesterday that you can pay in and withdraw out from any UK bank account at our local Silsden Post Office?

Andrew can provide an envelope for cheques, cash you pay in over the counter with your bank card.

Lets use our local Post Office.
click for more information

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2016 : 16:22:44      reply with quote

Yes he can. However, last time i wanted to put a cheque in, I needed a paying in book, which I don't think I've had for years. I never needed one. I now have one, so should be no problem.

Andrew and the post office is a valuable asset to Silsden. If/when Andrew leaves, or the post office closes, Silsden will not have a decent banking facility. (apologies to Skipton Building Society, no offence meant).

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2016 : 16:52:36      reply with quote

Barry its been like this for ages. Surely you dont want to be putting money into banks?
Why not spend it on a few of your mates instead?

Think PO is moving into one of our best loved shops!!

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2016 : 17:38:16      reply with quote

posted by GAMEKEEPER
Yes he can. However, last time i wanted to put a cheque in, I needed a paying in book, which I don't think I've had for years.

You just need a paying in slip for the envelope from the Post Office.

All you can add to the envelope is your sort code and account number.

The cash is paid in by your debit card.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/02/2016 : 22:01:33      reply with quote

Don't forget to write your account number and bank sort code on the back of the cheque you are paying in. Not strictly necessary, but the money will still get to your bank account if the paying in slip goes missing.

aj101
Website Member

Website Member

21/02/2016 : 17:58:43      reply with quote

i know its slightly off subject,,,but does anybody know whats happening with the post office,,,
i seem to remember reading here,,that andrew was finishing around mid december,,,,obvioulsly where still talking bout post office est and andrew,,,,,
anybody know if its all resolved now,,,,,cos clearly its past december and its still open,,,thankfully

midway
Website Member

Website Member

21/02/2016 : 19:18:30      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

See this
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=7963
And this
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=517

Spanish Omelette
Website Member

Website Member

23/02/2016 : 14:53:50      reply with quote

i was told by a very good sauce (source)? that the PO moves in June from where it has been for 70-80-90-100 years?? to become part of our favourite local shop!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/02/2016 : 15:49:19      reply with quote

...and which is your favourite shop, and is it mine?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

23/02/2016 : 17:48:56      reply with quote

Never seen a Post Office in Aldi before...!

BubbyVee
Website Member

Website Member

23/02/2016 : 22:04:57      reply with quote

posted by dexter
Never seen a Post Office in Aldi before...!
Close but no cigar (or bees if you believe some tabloids?)

paperclip
Website Member

Website Member

24/02/2016 : 12:27:32      reply with quote

It's certain Silsden Post Office (my favourite shop) will close this year and possibly re-open in "popular retail premises".This is Post Office Central's current policy. Open for longer hours and pay less, staff with minimum wagers on short or zero hours contracts. (See the WH Smith's version in Keighley). In Sutton the arrangement fell through. Not worth the chosen shop owner's time and investment. Think security. Think trouble. Most of all think how well Andrew and the helpful ladies there have served us. Pop in and say thanks before it's too late

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

24/02/2016 : 12:58:09      reply with quote

all banks gone now p/o,oh well plenty room for more takeaways and hairdressers lol

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

25/02/2016 : 09:38:37      reply with quote

Someone has asked how long the PO has been at its present site.

The answer: it was opened in 1907 when postmaster William Moore moved there with two assistants and shared the premises with a barber shop!

He first came to Silsden in 1894 but there were no permanent premises for the PO; he moved around between St. John Street, 54 Kirkgate (now a take-away) and a shop next to the town hall. Then in 1907, the Earl of Thanet Lodge, which built all that row of shops that side of Kirkgate) offered him a space, and Mr Moore chose the corner site. The post office has remained there ever since.

(There has been some sort of postal service in the village since 1840 when a chap we know only as Old Sutcliffe used to blow a horn at Road End and distribute letters that he had collected from Keighley!)

William Moore ran the post office until 1924, when he was succeeded by one of his assistants Miss Emily Wilkinson. Villagers signed a petition that she should be chosen from 18 candidates because of her gracious manners.

After that came Mr George Brown and Mr and Mrs Jim Bunney. Then in 1955 Mr William Cathey, (who also became a well known councillor) took over. It has been with the Cathey family ever since.

If and when the post office leaves the corner building by the beck, another piece of Silsden's history will be lost.

Replies in this thread : 13

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Your Bank & The Post Office  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to