Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Help to ease traffic congestion

Replies in this thread : 30

Author

Topic : Help to ease traffic congestion

daydreamer
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 10:50:35      reply with quote

Would it be beneficial if:

1) There was a mini-roundabout at the junction of Bell Square & Bolton Rd (outside the King's Arms). It can take such a long time to get out of that junction at certain times of day!

2) Vehicles were no longer allowed to park down Silsden Main Street (which helps slow traffic down) but instead, had multiple speed bumps throughout Main Street and up Bolton Rd (as vehicles do speed up & down). This would prevent speeding but also allow a better flow of traffic through the town, even with deliveries taking place.

3) HGV's (local farming vehicles excluded), not loading or unloading in Silsden were not allowed to travel through as they are very unsightly for a small town. They cause rapid road damage and severe congestion during anytime of day.

What do you think?
click for more information

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 11:43:24      reply with quote

All very sensible daydreamer.. but no one will ever do anything about it, sadly. It's getting worse... Keep trying though, and good luck.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 13:13:25      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Ask the people who live on Bolton Road if they are in favour of speed bumps

www.bromleytransport.org.uk/Speed_Humps_Vibration_Noise.htm

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 14:41:39      reply with quote

We do not want any speed humps anywhere. Mallinson's munro is more than enough, all they do is cause major problems for the emergency services trying to get to and from incidents, especially ambulances conveying patients.

How about reducing the times when parking is permitted on Kirkgate to the same as that for loading?

daydreamer
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 20:20:57      reply with quote

I can appreciate your concerns re emergency services but I don't think it will reduce response times drastically!
After all, speed bumps aren't a hinderance but a life saver.

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 21:28:57      reply with quote

Did we ever get anywhere with the application for a 7.5 ton limit through the town from the Addingham roundabout to the by-pass?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/03/2016 : 22:11:39      reply with quote

posted by daydreamer
I can appreciate your concerns re emergency services but I don't think it will reduce response times drastically!
Or a menace if someone drives to work in the morning after not being able to sleep because of the noise from the speed humps

dins
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 01:19:07      reply with quote

I love the parking down the main street, but until a different route that could avoid our main street, being the main thoroughfare for all vehicles can be found, i think the parking bays should be removed to aid the free movement of traffic through our town, and make it safer, and more foot traffic friendly. There are many alternative options to access our shops in the main street, without having to park on it.
I am sure many of you will now share your opinions why i am wrong. I welcome your views, and look forward to your alternatives.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 06:36:43      reply with quote

dins... you are absolutely right, I have gone on for years about the same thing, but nothing ever happens. Shops in Crosshills and elsewhere survive without actual main street parking, and the traffic flows better there. You will never shift the archaic thinking of some people on this, although anyone who drives through it most days knows the Kirkgate parking is crazy, unhealthy, and sometimes dangerous.
You will get opposition from people, for some reason, but one day common sense will prevail, and the parking will go. But don't hold your breath..!

daydreamer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 07:37:22      reply with quote

It's good to see people debating and sharing their opinions!

What about the mini-roundabout idea?

There have been several accidents at that particular junction recently due to drivers trying to get out having waited there for such long periods of time.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 08:24:55      reply with quote

I know some people who live in Glusburn and work in Skipton. They, as would anybody who uses Station Rd to/from Hayfields at rush hour, swap Cross Hill Main St with Kirkgate,Silsden

HB
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 08:36:39      reply with quote

wish full thinking, I know and it would help developers! but the only long term solution is a bypass just like addingham

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 09:06:06      reply with quote

posted by daydreamer
It is not only response times, I have seen police cars disabled by speed bumps and the stolen car got away. the Ambulance crews have a real problem treating patients when the vehicles is being thrown about, and the bumps mean if a spine injury is suspected they have to almost stop and creep over the bumps, seconds do count in a life threatening incident.

daydreamer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 09:38:11      reply with quote

I appreciate what you're saying grandad but as a doctor, having spent time on ambulance call outs, spinal boards protect and immobilise the spine but obviously, caution is needed during transit.

Re treatment - patients are generally treated prior to transport, other than those needing constant treatment enroute.

At the end of the day, several speed bumps down Main Street won't cause too much noise pollution or hinder emergency services greatly. However, without Main Street parking, they will keep traffic slow and allow it to be free flowing.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 10:05:09      reply with quote

posted by daydreamer
It's good to see people debating and sharing their opinions!

What about the mini-roundabout idea?

There have been several accidents at that particular junction recently due to drivers trying to get out having waited there for such long periods of time.
I will repeat the answer I posted on another topic on this subject:

I believe the junction will be changed to a mini roundabout at some point, but with all the spending cuts Bradford have made, I wouldn't hold your breath as to when it will happen.

As far as speed bumps on Kirkgate is concerned - they are just a nuisance and dangerous (and don't even go there if you are suggesting speed bumps on Bolton Road). There are other ways of the reducing speed through Kirkgate if the parking was removed.

Wouldn't it be nice if the pavement was widened and the odd chicane was put into slow the traffic and HGV's were banned except for access, and there was a bypass and pigs could fly (and Bradford cared about what happened in Silsden).

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 10:07:47      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by daydreamer

At the end of the day, several speed bumps down Main Street won't cause too much noise pollution
Please could you back your theory up with evidence.

Station Road is among the noisiest in the country

18 Apr 2003

STATION Road in Cross Hills has listed in a league table of the top 12 noisiest roads in Britain.

In a competition carried out by the UK Noise Association, the road, which carries 12,000 plus vehicles over numerous speed bumps everyday, is named as the eighth worst route.

The association launched the competition back in February asking people to nominate noisy roads and Station Road residents felt theirs fitted the bill.

In a report by the association it is described as "a rat-run for avoiding a level crossing which is closed, on average, 40 minutes out of 60 minutes with 12,000 plus vehicles per day. At the back of the homes, there is a freight depot. Within earshot of the gardens, there is the Aire Valley Trunk Road, Skipton Road and a roundabout with five exits".

A spokesman for the association said the roads nominated had to be routes where the amount of noise created annoyance.

He explained: "That is not necessarily the same as a road where the noise was loudest. We didn't use a noise meter. We didn't measure decibel levels. The level of annoyance, of intrusion into people's lives was what we were looking for.

"We also took into account of how long the noise lasted, the number of people affected by the noise and whether the road suffered from more than one annoying noise."

Top of the list was the A406 North Circular Road in London, with other contenders including the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel and the M77 in Glasgow.

Station Road resident Graham Wild, who has lived there for 11 years, told the Herald he was not at all surprised by the listing.

He added he felt sorry for those residents who lived at the top of Station Road where traffic queued to turn on to Cross Hills Main Street.

"I waited 17 minutes the other day to get from above the bridge to the top of the road, which is only a matter of about 200 yards."

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 10:18:00      reply with quote

yes make station rd one way down for 20 yards and then residents can get up to the houses or down and that will halve the traffic if it only came down, or block the top off completly like they did with the other road up the side of the bank.

daydreamer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 12:14:38      reply with quote

Guess we need to petition the council then!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 13:06:05      reply with quote

posted by daydreamer
Guess we need to petition the council then!
Having a crap day today but that has cheered me up no end how people can still have a sense of humour in respect of Bradford spending money in Silsden!!

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 13:15:36      reply with quote

I was in the village this morning and I noticed 6 HGV go thru the village in the space of 15min.It is my thinking that since the A59 was closed for repair and the diversion took the traffic to Ilkley some drivers may have seen a easy way to go east and west to the M65. Has anyone else noticed this.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 13:22:21      reply with quote

yes the heavy goods lorries come down the a59 and cut to dingham and through silsden and xhills to go to lancs they use this route instead of going all the way to skipton and lancs that way ,hence a 7 1/2 ton limit on the road through silsden would stop this.
solid wood flooring

daydreamer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 13:28:12      reply with quote

Yes I've noticed this too. Leads to increased congestion and is unsightly.
I've seen recently car transporters approx 10 cars on coming up Main Street. I ask you, how the hell is that appropriate.

W.r.t the petition, I'm happy it cheered you up but I think it's a serious matter that the council will have to take note of if there are enough voices & views aimed at them to preserve such a lovely town as Silsden. Never said it would be easy!!

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 18:19:44      reply with quote

Daydreamer! car transporters seem to go everyday to Toyota on Howden Rd, I know this because I live on that side of the village, and often when they leave they turn right toward Ilkley.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 18:26:12      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
yes the heavy goods lorries come down the a59 and cut to dingham and through silsden and xhills to go to lancs they use this route instead of going all the way to skipton and lancs that way ,hence a 7 1/2 ton limit on the road through silsden would stop this.
Addingham does have a 71/2 ton limit, hgvs should not be going through the village, and then coming through here.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 19:22:06      reply with quote

yes should of refined that they turn off just before addingham school and come out on the old rd and a left turn and they are then on dingham bypass and onto to roundabout then left through silsden.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/03/2016 : 19:52:47      reply with quote

7.5 ton limit is a must. This should also include out of service buses.Our local bus company has diverted service buses away from the main street citing congestion but everyday dozens of out of service school buses that they run use the main street.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

12/03/2016 : 11:22:06      reply with quote

Maybe the bus company should have a small depot in Ilkley to cover Wharfedale.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

12/03/2016 : 14:31:58      reply with quote

Dogcatcher, if that is what they are doing? then they are still braking the law, the limit starts at the Bolton Bridge end of the road junction with the A59.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

12/03/2016 : 15:06:58      reply with quote

did`nt know that,but travel that road 3 times aweek and seen a few hgvs.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

12/03/2016 : 23:19:39      reply with quote

Build a bypass.
Build a multi story car park on the edge of town.
No more personal vehicles in town.

Think this a joke? Just check the latest ideas in town planning, and it has been implemented in some places in Germany. Remember the best solution to a problem is not always the one most people would immediately like.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

12/03/2016 : 23:26:55      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
Build a bypass.
Build a multi story car park on the edge of town.
No more personal vehicles in town.

Think this a joke? Just check the latest ideas in town planning, and it has been implemented in some places in Germany. Remember the best solution to a problem is not always the one most people would immediately like.
Don't be silly, Bradford can't even build a school in Silsden. They don't have any money and even if they had they would waste it on tombstones in Bradford - oh sorry they have already done that!

Replies in this thread : 30

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Help to ease traffic congestion   

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to