Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Local Councillors and Civil Engineering.

Replies in this thread : 17

Author

Topic : Local Councillors and Civil Engineering.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2016 : 08:16:48      reply with quote

A leaflet arrived yesterday letting me know my wannabe local Tory councillors want a bridge across the bypass and a flood barrier on the beck.

Has anyone actually considered the design of a suitable bridge? Also the access footpaths?

As part of other major infrastructure work such as building a bypass and new sewers. How much? 20 million? 50 million?

Throw in 'where's Jack' transport proposals for transport access to the airport and it seems to me there is either a pot of money we know nothing about, or we are suffering pre-election empty waffle.

As for the beck, when the wall goes the repair costs will make the flood gate expense look like peanuts.
click for more information

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2016 : 08:47:49      reply with quote

even if they built a bridge i reckon poss a 3rd of people would still dash over the road if clear as they are always in a rush..similar to silsden main st 3 crossings but i see loads of folk just crossing the road anywhere and they are poss some of the people that campaigned for them in the first place 'sad :(');

victor
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2016 : 10:14:27      reply with quote

Well said doggy

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2016 : 19:49:15      reply with quote

Realised today that there are two pedestrian bridges across road and railway in Bingley. Neither looks like a cheap option.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2016 : 20:18:16      reply with quote

Forget a bridge across the A629 which will cost a fortune and there is no guarantee it would be used. Just think how many shuttle bus rides could be provided for the same money. A shuttle bus service could be run to suite commuters and actually meet trains and get you home nearly dry.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2016 : 21:14:22      reply with quote

Tesco is being asked to help fund the 1 million cost of a new footbridge over the Aire Valley trunk road.

www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/11240891.Tesco_asked_to_fund_bridge_over_Aire_Valley_road_at_Silsden/?ref=mr

Councillor Andrew Mallinson (Con, Craven) said there had been a good case for many years for a footbridge.He said when he last investigated the cost of such a project, it came to nearly 1.5 million. He also said there were land ownership issues, which would need to be resolved first.

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13877182.MP_petitions_for_footbridge_over_Aire_Valley_Trunk_Road/?ref=mr&lp=18

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 10:06:33      reply with quote

As driverless cars are developing fast so will be driverless buses. A few such battery buses with automated charging could run continuously between the station and Silsden, Steeton etc.

NOTE: this a NOT a stupid or joke suggestion. This technology is progressing faster than I imagined. Automated public transport from a fixed transport hub like a railway station is an ideal situation for this technology.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 12:33:23      reply with quote

There's no way I would get on any driver less road vehicle.
have you seen how many of them have been involved in accident over in the US?
I have read they are going to test driver less truck trains on the M6 in Cumbria, I only hope they let everybody else know when; so we can stay away.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 13:43:46      reply with quote

You do have to question why? but driverless transport has been around for years eg the Docklands Light Railway has been working well since 1987, and not a train driver in sight.

I am only aware of the google driverless car accident which didn't understand the buses need time to stop, but I'm sure that will not happen again.

I'm not sure the relevance to a driverless shuttle bus between Steeton and Silsden except it would make it much more viable due to the lack of wages which would need to be paid.

I visited York a few days ago and used the Park and Ride, they use electric buses which are excellent. Electric buses have come a long way from the milk float. You really couldn't tell the difference between an electric and a diesel powered bus - well perhaps you could because it wasn't smelly and it had lots of decals to inform you how environmentally friendly you were being by using an electric bus.

Driverless transport will come.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 17:05:49      reply with quote

Hope your not going off thread Peter

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 17:38:16      reply with quote

There is a world of difference between a driver less train and a road vehicle.
You say the google ones didn't understand that a bus needed to stop, that says it all, any vehicle might need to stop.
Will it see the feet of a child moving underneath the front of a stationary bus? I did and stopped before the child stepped out in front of me.
I can live with things that might help the driver but not one that takes control.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 18:19:33      reply with quote

The bus ran into the google car because the programming didn't allow for bus requiring a longer stopping distance because of momentum. As I said it will not happen again.

HB
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 19:27:13      reply with quote

posted by grandad
There's no way I would get on any driver less road vehicle.
have you seen how many of them have been involved in accident over in the US?
What all of 1! How many happened in the uk? Ok Yorkshire, or even Silsden in the last year????

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 21:07:55      reply with quote

Peter
There as been more accidents than that one, I saw an item that said there had been about 20 of them, involving not only Google cars.
And you need to compare the number of driver less cars to the number of one with a driver to get a true comparison.

blob
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 21:18:52      reply with quote

I know subways are controversial security wise, but why isn't a subway through the dual carriageway looked at for cost comparison? It would take up less room and could potentially be installed with a contraflow system on the other carriageway like they did with the bridge strengthening at Crossflatts a few years ago. Yes it would occasionally flood but it would be available to use most of the time.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 21:26:49      reply with quote

At least 80 people are missing after a driverless oil tanker train derailed and exploded in this small Quebec town, destroying dozens of buildings.

Officials confirmed one fatality, but warned the toll could rise. One firefighter said on condition of anonymity that there had been at least 50 people in one bar that was consumed by the flames. ''There is nothing left,'' he said.

www.smh.com.au/world/80-missing-as-driverless-train-crashes-20130707-2pjxb.html

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/03/2016 : 22:55:24      reply with quote

a driverless oil tanker train derailed and exploded in this small Quebec town
If memory serves me correctly, the only reason the train was driverless was because the train driver had parked it up overnight outside the town and didn't secure the brakes properly.

On the subject of the bridge over the A629 - it's a long distance to span over the carriageway. If it was started on the left (keighley side of the roundabout) that would be ok for the Leeds direction but what about when you come back? Climb up the steps and down the other side to get to the footbridge? How is that going to work.

Start it on the Kildwick side of the roundabout and what use would it be?

It's not a simple up and over solution, whichever way you look at it, because there is already a road bridge over the rail line.

Anything which takes people out of their will not be used, take the example of a footpath going round the edge of a field, if the destination is diagonally across then that's the way people will take, footpath or no footpath.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

22/03/2016 : 08:52:58      reply with quote

The logical position for a foot bridge might be diagonally from the Kildwick side of the bridge directly to the station.

However, that narrow footpath on that side of the road down towards the bridge needs widening. I suppose a crossing could be placed between the wide path that stops at the bridge. Not a good spot.

All of this is pretty obvious to anyone with a modicum of common sense. That politicians, of all persuasions regular promote the idea without thought to the context is rather worrying.

Replies in this thread : 17

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Local Councillors and Civil Engineering.  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to