Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > becks mill for housing

Replies in this thread : 35

Author

Topic : becks mill for housing

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2016 : 15:23:31      reply with quote

it is all happening in silsden! just got a notice through the door about proposed housing on becks mill site , consultation in town hall on 7th April, same day as belton road development being discussed by planning and regulatory committee in Bradford, then there is the plan to put traffic lights and pedestrian crossing at bell square , all on top of the other developments that are already started, finished or in the pipeline.I sincerely hope that our Town council are going to do something about all this, but I will not hold my breath.I thought that as a development plan as not yet been put in place by Bradford, the old plan still stands, and in that the inspector said silsden could not cope with any more development so what is going on?
click for more information

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2016 : 16:27:31      reply with quote

Looks good to me. Dead land perfect for housing and certainly more will be needed for all the expats returning if Brexit happens!

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2016 : 16:44:43      reply with quote

and just why would expats come back?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2016 : 17:18:55      reply with quote

posted by Dodzi
and just why would expats come back?
I think it may be about free healthcare and pensions. But no one is giving straight answers, like the rest of the Brexit debate, sadly. So they may need houses to live in...

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2016 : 17:20:56      reply with quote

...or all the expats returning if Brexit happens!
Old_Miner is you want to talk about Brexit then START A NEW TOPIC. Do not put it into every topic going because it just diverts the thread.

Thank you, Peter

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/04/2016 : 11:25:22      reply with quote

Just a few days to the meeting with most of Silsden still in the dark

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/04/2016 : 13:38:12      reply with quote

This is a new planning tactic...

"Get in early and tell the people what you are thinking of doing" - the best thing since sliced bread and just the type of houses Silsden needs (3, 4 and 5 bed executive houses of course) and easy access to the station, perhaps a free metro card, for a few months, to get you to your job in Leeds).

Of course there will be no traffic problems caused by this development and they won't tell you about the extra 200 houses that this development will be developed into - on the land beyond.

And they will call it a consultation and that ticks the box.

Make sure you ask the searching questions when you attend the meeting in the Town Hall.

Residents are invited to attend a community consultation event at Silsden Town Hall on THURSDAY April 7, between 3.30pm and 7.30pm.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

04/04/2016 : 18:36:12      reply with quote

I think we can all agree, the entire area down keighley road including the wood yard is an absolute disgrace. Something has to be done before it gets worse. But what?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

04/04/2016 : 18:51:11      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

hear hear middy could`nt av put it better myself an absolute eye sore coming into silsden,some nice new town houses will be a lot better 'happy :)');looking at the plot it might of been big enough for the new school if they used the facilities at the sports ground below 'happy :)');

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 16:28:09      reply with quote

DON'T FORGET

Residents are invited to attend a community consultation event at Silsden Town Hall on THURSDAY April 7, between 3.30pm and 7.30pm.

That's NOW

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 16:29:45      reply with quote

Well I called down..1/2hour of my life I will never get back but here is a summary

It will tidy the area up which is good

A transport expert explained there will be no transport issues because their models say they will not.They have used industry standard models....the same used for Belton Rd and Aldi!!!.They have not looked at issues surrounding traffic backing upto the bypass....because they dont have to!!!

In regards to other infrastructure questions they have not finished sorting out things like where school kids will go or where people can see a doctor or where waste will end up when you flush your toilet.So they have not wasted money sending anybody to the meeting to listen to concerns and we have to watch out online for the plans to go in then we can comment to the council who will raise any concerns for us.

The planned houses are 3/4 bedroom commuter houses nothing for young or older cobbydalers

The site is a trojan horse to open up the next field.

All in all it is an example of appearing to consult.

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 17:31:34      reply with quote

I have just attended the Consultation Event at the town hallas a representative of Silsden Sports Club and took a discreet photo of the plans.

The paddock is green belt and can not be built on, he was not sure what it was designated for.

They have a meeting next week with the site owner, Silvermantle and will put our case forward as to how important it is to us to keep.

I asked him about drainage and he said they would install huge holding tanks to collect surface water and dispose of it bit by bit so we should get less water on our land and not more.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 18:06:17      reply with quote

posted by Listener

I've just attended the Consultation Event at the town hallas a representative of Silsden Sports Club and took a discreet photo of the plans.

The paddock is green belt and can not be built on, he was not sure what it was designated for.

They have a meeting next week with the site owner, Silvermantle and will put our case forward as to how important it is to us to keep.

I asked him about drainage and he said they would install huge holding tanks to collect surface water and dispose of it bit by bit so we should get less water on our land and not more.

Common sense is to release the paddock under section 106 rather than pay cash towards a footbridge.Bit concerned the picture shows a wide road upto the edge of the paddock(obscured under trees).It is green belt and is not really of use to the developer unless..

Holding tanks are the current fashion but wont work under the prolonged rain of December or when the water table is high(most of the winter)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 18:36:19      reply with quote

I hope you are all taking note of the monies promised for a footbridge which will never be built. The cost and a few plans for this mythical footbridge would show a few home truths.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 19:05:37      reply with quote

posted by Peter
I hope you are all taking note of the monies promised for a footbridge which will never be built. The cost and a few plans for this mythical footbridge would show a few home truths.
I would love to see a list of all section 106 monies and if it has actually been spent

Otherworld
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2016 : 23:15:32      reply with quote

When I asked about potential sewerage problems, I was told that they had been unable to complete the relevant reports because all the drains were blocked......

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

08/04/2016 : 09:56:01      reply with quote

hilarious, you couldn't make it up

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/04/2016 : 08:21:07      reply with quote

As I say its an ideal site for housing if and when the correct infrastructure is in place. In regards the clogged up roads I think at school times it will be worse than the steady flow spread over the day a Tesco would have brought.
In the local press a group called Say no to Tesco, pointed out the problems with road congestion another supermarket would bring.

SILSDEN residents have launched a petition calling for Bradford Council to throw out plans for a new Tesco in the town.
Wendy Neville and Anna Young are spearheading attempts to stop the supermarket giant building on the former site of Becks Mill, off Keighley Road.
Wendy Neville and her husband, Colin, said Silsden already suffered traffic congestion through the town centre at peak times.
They added: “Additional congestion will make the matter worse for residents and others passing through, and it will be further exacerbated by the proposed large-scale house building in the area.”

Quite a turnaround now

WE are very pleased to learn that an application seeking planning permission for a housing development on the Becks Mill site in Silsden is to be presented to Bradford Council before the end of April
Of course, there are issues with regard to pressure on the existing infrastructure, which will have to be resolved.
With due attention being given to these legitimate concerns, we hope the people of Silsden will support these plans.
WENDY NEVILLE, ANNA YOUNG, VAL CARROLL

Silsden

I think we all know that the roads will not be sorted out before any houses are built so how does someone decide when it is or is not right to welcome development which will increase congestion?.
The default argument against Bradford Council should be get the infrastructure sorted then we can talk about future development or at least come up with a sustainable plan

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

09/04/2016 : 10:02:04      reply with quote

well I hope no one votes for val carroll in the may election, doesn't she live in silsden?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

09/04/2016 : 10:20:08      reply with quote

As far as I know she does which is good.Well she did last time she stood and the three times before so Iguess she still lives local.I believe she is standing for the party who cuts everything in Silsfen like library and youth club not that it afects Becks Mill planning

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

18/04/2016 : 14:34:28      reply with quote

Well the results of the sham consultation are out and guess what the company who conducted the meeting have dressed the figures up to show Silsden residents are in favour.

They claim 54% of Silsden residents support the plans.

The facts behind the figures are as follows

Only around 1%(80) of Silsden residents attended the meeting.

Of those only 59 people(74%) filled in the questionaire.

Only 32 people were in favour of the plans

32 is only 40% of the 80 who attended.

But we all knew they would get the answer they wanted no matter how tiny it represents the views of Cobbydalers.

solid wood flooring

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 10:22:34      reply with quote

How to cook the books by Nathaniel Lichfield & Partners (NLP)

www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/14434556.Residents_in_favour_of_new_housing_on_Silsden_side__claim_developers/

Well you ask leading questions and make the results into percentages.

But these are the actual numbers in reality

80 people attended
59 people completed the questionaire
35 people were in favour of new houses in Silsden
24 people didn't want new houses in Silden. + the people that didn't fill the questionaire out (21), probably because of the percentage games being played, would give a total of 24+21=45 PEOPLE NOT IN FAVOUR OF NEW HOUSES.

45 people didn't want new houses built in Silsden (or at least not in that location).

With a population of 8,000 in Silsden this is seen as evidence by NLP that Silsden residents are in favour of new houses i.e. 35 people were in favour and 45 people were not in favour or at best undecided.

Compare this with NLP's statement “Are you generally in favour of new homes on the site?”, saw 54 per cent of people either in agreement or strongly in agreement.

Statistics and damned lies.

These lies will now go forward in the "box ticked consultation", Silsden is in favour of new houses on this site.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 11:09:30      reply with quote

So what if the Town Council booked a room and held a consultation where 200 turned up and voted against. Surely that wins

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 11:46:58      reply with quote

Fred what is your opinion on this. I recently attended a Silsden town council meeting just to see how it made decisions and if I would like to put myself up for election. A planning application came up for discussion, two of the councillors against one was for and the other six or seven abstained. So the council objected to the planning permission, I was so disillusioned that this could be called democracy.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 14:18:44      reply with quote

A planning application came up for discussion, two of the councillors against one was for and the other six or seven abstained
Which particular application was this because that's not as I remember the meeting?

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 14:27:22      reply with quote

Victor, that is democracy! more people voted for than against.
What do you want, that is exactly how it works in a general election.
You don't vote, you don't count.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 15:27:32      reply with quote

granddad the point I was making is that to me if you vote against planning permission then you are against it, and if you don't vote against it you are not against it.
It would be very helpful if you could tell me any of the reasons you think the other councillors did not vote.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 15:50:10      reply with quote

Peter it was the one by the golf course, the objections came from the two councillors on the left nearest you and the for was in the middle on the right. I suggest you consult the town clerk to confirm the vote. If you remember one of the councillors asked if they could abstain.
Kiln Hill cottage Brunthwaite lane 16/00800/hou

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 16:39:00      reply with quote

This was the actual objection put in by STC

Objection on the grounds of increased footprint on a listed building and it necessitates the taking down in part of a dry stone wall for access which this council believes is against LB policy.
This has nothing to do with whether councillors abstained or not, it was points of note for the area panel (Keighley/Bradford) to consider - they chose to waive the points and the application was granted.

Back to the subject which is becks mill for housing

victor
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 17:04:57      reply with quote

Peter I was just pointing out to Fred that only 30% of Silsden town council voted on a planning permission so it is hard to condemn the consultation on these houses.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

19/04/2016 : 19:49:52      reply with quote

On the subject of lies, damned lies and statistic.

The survey regarding the houses splitting the abstained suggests 45 out of 80 probably in favour. A simple majority.

Now the question is how well does this reflect the opinion of the full 8000 population.

Now you apply complex statistical tests to the figures to see if a significant result appears.

Alternatively one could say that 7920 people out of a population of 8000 are not bothered one way or the other.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2016 : 07:37:46      reply with quote

posted by old_miner

Alternatively one could say that 7920 people out of a population of 8000 are not bothered one way or the other.
You assume everybody knew about the consultation which is far from the case.The majority did not know.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2016 : 08:09:21      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by old_miner

You assume everybody knew about the consultation which is far from the case.The majority did not know.
Not sure about that gazzer... I'm sure mine arrived via the postman with other mail, so I assume everyone else in the town got a leaflet. old miner is maybe right, most people are probably not bothered about more houses in the town.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2016 : 09:20:21      reply with quote

posted by dexter
posted by gazzer
posted by old_miner

Not sure about that gazzer... I'm sure mine arrived via the postman with other mail, so I assume everyone else in the town got a leaflet. old miner is maybe right, most people are probably not bothered about more houses in the town.
We didnt get a letter. You could say that people are not bothered to show their support for new houses.That argument can be used either way.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2016 : 09:51:45      reply with quote

DO NOT ASSUME PUBLIC NOTICE LEAFLETS ARE DELIVERED TO EVERY HOME

I have been aware for some time not every household is created equal when it come to leaflets of public interest. There seems to be some selective posting going on, this is especially true when it is politically motivated. For example, I know of leaflets sent to a few households in Addingham and not seen at all here even though the leaflet was all about Silsden concerns.

IF YOU RECEIVE A LEAFLET OF PUBLIC CONCERN PLEASE SCAN / PHOTOGRAPH A COPY AND EMAIL IT TO ME AND I WILL PUBLISH IT ON THIS WEBSITE.

peter@silsden.net

Thank you.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

20/04/2016 : 10:38:23      reply with quote

we got a leaflet but it wasn't delivered by the postman

Replies in this thread : 35

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > becks mill for housing  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to