Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Lost & Found | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search


Forums Home > Lost & Found > We unearthed this and thought the local community would like it.

  

Replies in this thread : 3

Author

Topic : We unearthed this and thought the local community would like it.

Peter
Website Member
Posts : 4507

Website Member

05/09/2016 : 15:47:36      reply with quote


If this means anything to you perhaps you would like to get in touch.



click for more information

Peter
Website Member
Posts : 4507

Website Member

05/09/2016 : 16:07:19      reply with quote


From John Liddles Blogspot



Above: Mill Banks. The single-storey building with the red door was once a nail-making forge and is one of only three known surviving structures from the local industry. The other two are in Stirling Street. The first mention of nail-making in Silsden was in 1761. At its peak in the mid-19th century, the industry employed more than 100 people. But as a domestic or semi-domestic enterprise it was overtaken by mass-production methods and ceased in Silsden in 1919. The vacant land in front of Mill Banks was once the site of the Oddfellows Hall (pictured below on the left).





click for more information

Peter
Website Member
Posts : 4507

Website Member

05/09/2016 : 18:55:48      reply with quote


Perhaps the access road to Sykes Lane should be named "ODD FELLOWS" and the stone sign either put into the wall or pavement. happy :)happy :)

click for more information

Pennypeck
Website Member
Posts : 126

Website Member

05/09/2016 : 21:35:33      reply with quote


Interesting:

The photo that includes the Oddfellows Hall, appears to have an area above the middle row of windows in the gable befitting the plaque that is the subject of the thread.

The two ladies stood in the gable doors suggest that the houses in the block are back-to back. The street name on the side of the block appears to say Mill Banks. It's likely that the other side says Albert Square. Further, an assumption is that the row contained 5 houses on each side, which perhaps explains why the numbers of the houses in the remaining 2 sides of Albert Square commence with number 6.

Oddfellows Halls seem to occupy the top floor of the buildings, with houses underneath and this would appear to be a typical example. The room height is probably greater than the houses below, differentiated by the tall typical Silsden stair-case windows of which several (or their replacements) are still in place throughout the town.

At some point, the top floor became the Catholic Church before it moved to Wesley Place, presumable when the building was demolished. I have heard several senior citizens of the town say that the demolished stone was carted across the road to fill in the former mill dam on the former Pennine Playgrounds site, whose water powered the corn mill wheel.

The adjacent property, the former Pennypeck Hall, has retained the high garden wall, seemingly little changed if at all.

Given that the existing Mill Banks and the southern Albert Square junctions with Keighley Road are both soon to disappear, it would seem very appropriate to try and find a place to site the plaque for posterity reasons.



click for more information

Replies in this thread : 3

Post Reply

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Lost & Found > We unearthed this and thought the local community would like it.  


<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

  , © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to