Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden's Waterloo Mill Engine House to be repaired

Replies in this thread : 7

Author

Topic : Silsden's Waterloo Mill Engine House to be repaired

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/10/2016 : 17:50:58      reply with quote

218,000 worth of grants confirmed to help fund repairs to Keighley's Dalton Mills and Silsden's Waterloo Mill Engine House

Historic England has confirmed it has approved a 88,000 grant to progress much-needed refurbishment work on Dalton Mills, in Dalton Lane.

And an even larger grant from the same organisation has been announced for Silsden's Waterloo Mill Engine House. This is receiving 130,000 to support repair work.

www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/14814386.__218_000_worth_of_grants_confirmed_to_help_fund_repairs_to_Keighley_s_Dalton_Mills_and_Silsden_s_Waterloo_Mill_Engine_House/

Silsden's Waterloo Mill Engine House is also a Grade II* listed building.

It was constructed in the 1860s, but a new engine house was added in 1916 to accommodate a Scott & Hodgson steam engine, which last powered the looms in 1977.

Most of these engines were sold for scrap when they became redundant, but the original device still survives at this mill.

But would it be good if the engine could be restored as well?

See the engine
news.silsden.net/pictures/waterloo-mill-steam-engine

(See the pictures full screen by clicking on the arrow top right of picture) - enjoy

click for more information

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

20/10/2016 : 20:44:05      reply with quote

Who is responsible for looking after this machine, is there a local group of people??

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/10/2016 : 22:11:02      reply with quote

The engine is privately owned. As you can see from the pictures it will take a lot of money and a lot of expert help to restore it.

The Historic England grant is for the engine house repair. The building is grade II listed, its repair will keep the engine safe in its current state.

Look out for the rope race when you view the pictures, it really is a wonder.

news.silsden.net/pictures/waterloo-mill-steam-engine

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

20/10/2016 : 23:20:47      reply with quote

I have a specific interest in Mill Engines and am currently building a scale model of the horizontal Corliss engine that used to be in Washpit Mill, Holmfirth.

I have been into the one just near me on Howden Road a while ago, and it definitely needs some TLC to preserve it, I was told that a group of enthusiasts once did some remedial work to it years ago, but with a leaky roof and access for pigeons, things look a bit grim in there again.

The big problem is the lack of a boiler, this realistically means the chances of the engine ever running again are extremely slim, also when I went in there was no proper means of access apart from a rickety wooden ladder. So health & safety would be a big issue as well.

Its a real shame to see it like that, but at least it has survived in situ. I think you would probably have to knock the building down to remove it anyway, so lets hope it stays put.

bandnwire
Website Member

Website Member

21/10/2016 : 15:43:54      reply with quote

Steam engine, Waterloo Mill. Just an idea, use the barring engine, this is used to turn the steam engine into starting position, or use compressed air(alot of air to start the small barring engine).

midway
Website Member

Website Member

21/10/2016 : 18:59:21      reply with quote

www.markhamgrangesteammuseum.co.uk/agnes.html

Candy
Website Member

Website Member

21/10/2016 : 19:16:04      reply with quote

www.bancroftmill.org.uk

Steaming this Sunday

pgp001
Website Member

Website Member

21/10/2016 : 22:31:55      reply with quote

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Agnes is the engine I am building a model of, the barring engine can be seen on the right of the fly wheel.

This is my model of the barring engine, still work in progress.

Can someone tell me the correct way to show images please. ? (the [IMG] tag has to be lower case) - Peter

Replies in this thread : 7

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Silsden's Waterloo Mill Engine House to be repaired  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to