Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > double yellow lines down main street

Replies in this thread : 45
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : double yellow lines down main street

Bob T
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 11:39:29      reply with quote

Highways painting double yellow lines from entrance to beck to crossing outside Twigs
click for more information

logicale
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 11:40:51      reply with quote

Shame Parked cars slowed the traffic down Wont be long before people moan about speeding cars

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 14:20:11      reply with quote

About time too... speeding cars? That's been the cry before, but the lines make sense to most people. Should have done the whole street.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 16:35:08      reply with quote

We lost one of the Wesley Place car parks recently and some spaces in the other Wesley Place car park for recycling. Who would want to own a shop in Silsden.
Personally I would have put a single line down stopping peak time parking.
I assume their was a Traffic Regulation Order which I must of missed or it is just a waste of paint.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 17:50:32      reply with quote

Have just been down to view the new yellow lines. I am delighted to see them and believe they will improve the flow of traffic through Silsden ... once the road works have gone.
In my opinion they should have made then slightly longer,by two more cars length, to include the area up to the front of the Post Office.
I do understand the concern at the loss of a few parking spaces, but I think the gain outweighs the loss in this case.
Traffic congestion in the town is only going to get worse with time and too many new houses for the existing roads.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 18:16:23      reply with quote

There was a request to extend the yellow lines outside Helping Hands to stop cars from parking opposite Bell Square.

The road up from the Pennine Playground development (as part of the planning agreement) was supposed to have yellow line painted - wonder when that is going to be done...... this year... next year?????

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 18:27:18      reply with quote

Will anyone take any notice of them?, remember when they put the cones down some weeks ago. People parking in Silsden park where it is convenient to them. How many people have been seen parking in zig-zag lines, the worst spot by the chemist. We might now see a parking enforcement officer for a while.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 19:52:31      reply with quote

Nobody stops the parking over the canal bridge and down to the gap in the terrace of houses,where it is also illegal, so why should they be any difference with the yellow lines?
Anyway Disabled will still be able to park there.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 20:56:37      reply with quote

posted by Happywalker
I am delighted to see them and believe they will improve the flow of traffic through Silsden ...

Yes traffic will flow......like Brands Hatch.I hope nobody gets killed because of this reckless decision made so some people are not delayed by the odd minute.Its selfish I can only recall 2 fatalities on Kirkgate, one early morning and one evening when the shops were closed so doubt cars were parked.People more concerned about getting from A to B than about people getting hurt.

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 21:48:41      reply with quote

I think the people who are selfish are the ones that will not walk 100 yards from the car park and have to be right outside the door of whichever shop they are going to, not only that, a lot of them could not park straight, just abandoned their vehicle at any jaunty angle.I was once in Twiggs in the middle of being served, a man came in, butted in demanding his cigs, paid for them, butted in again because he wanted sweets, never an excuse me or nothing. when I went outside he was a dhd delivery driver parked illegally on the zig zag line by the crossing, ignorant prat.There are a lot of them about! Hope the lines are permanent and lets have an hgv ban as well.People are just too lazy these days

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 22:13:39      reply with quote

The vehicles in the remaining parking spaces will continue to act to slow through traffic sufficiently.
What we will hopefully find now is that there are fewer occasions of a complete standstill when large vehicles meet where the road bends ( where the new yellow lines are ).
I think the lines that have been put down represent a compromise to satisfy both sides of the argument and I would hope people will see how it works out.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 22:22:24      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Look at the comments on social media on this subject.Nobody takes the moral high ground and says "good news, people should park in the car park like me". No its all about getting from one end of Kirkgate to the other as quick as possible.What do you think these people will do when they have a clear road?Its like give someone a mobile phone are they more or less likely to make a phone call.Give someone who wants to get somewhere quicker a clear road are they more or less likely to drive faster ?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/10/2016 : 22:30:16      reply with quote

posted by Happywalker

Traffic congestion in the town is only going to get worse with time and too many new houses for the existing roads.

Traffic congestion from new houses is a reason to turn down planning applications not to make Kirkgate a race track!!

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 07:56:32      reply with quote

Come on gazzer, you are having a laugh about race tracks... the sheer volume of traffic slows everything down through Kirkgate, and 3 crossings are there to slow traffic as well. It's a long overdue move, and if it helps it should be extended even further. Scare tactics did not work in the EU referendum, and they won't work now, people are more savvy than you think. Time to get the lazy ones to walk a few yards to help others on their way through the town.

Steve 4708
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 11:15:47      reply with quote

This should have been done years ago, not last weekend. If those double yellows stop just one truck or car having to mount the pavement to get through then job done as far as I am concerned. And, no, Kirkgate will not become a racetrack; too much traffic going through for that.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 12:00:04      reply with quote

best thing theyve done should of done it all the way up the main street,this section that they have done was the thinest part. 'happy :)');

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 12:08:00      reply with quote

Time will tell!
My only hope is that the price to be paid is not in the loss of one or more lives, just because drivers will not set out on their journey a few minutes sooner.
When I started driving I was told to always allow time to change a wheel in case of a puncture on the way.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 13:05:10      reply with quote

Them were the days grandad when if you came across anybody broken down you'd stop and ask if they needed any help, and punctures were an every day occurrence, happy days now long gone.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 13:30:43      reply with quote

Have just witnessed an accident in town, nothing to do with the yellow lines though. An NHS patient transporter minibus was stationary in the roadworks queue outside the gym waiting to go over the canal bridge towards Steeton.
A very large transporter lorry with plant machinery on the back travelling in the opposite direction turned into Elliott Street. The rear of the lorry side swiped the NHS bus ripping into the drivers door and front wheel arch area. Has made a right mess of it.

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

24/10/2016 : 16:29:36      reply with quote

My thought is that yellow lines should be at the bottom end of Elliott St to enable easy access from Keighley Road there is grid lock every time a bus turns in there, and why did they not mark out a bus bay? it is now just over a year since this route was changed.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

25/10/2016 : 08:44:39      reply with quote

posted by wheelaman123
My thought is that yellow lines should be at the bottom end of Elliott St to enable easy access from Keighley Road there is grid lock every time a bus turns in there, and why did they not mark out a bus bay? it is now just over a year since this route was changed.
The bus company stopped using Kirkgate because of parked cars so they can go back to the old route
solid wood flooring

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

25/10/2016 : 19:20:39      reply with quote

Inevitable, I suppose, but St.Johns street now a favourite place to park. Can't understand it, only costs a few pence to park in Wesley Place Car Park.

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

25/10/2016 : 21:33:14      reply with quote

Parking on the car park is free for 30 minutes, the same length of time you were allowed in the new double yellow lined area. Parking enforcement is active in Silsden, very visible around top of Aire View, Prince Street areas at school hours which is good. Kirkgate can be laughable, couple of months ago I parked at the last spot by the Red Lion and was just going to leave the car when a delivery arrived for the pub, van parked part on kerb and part on road....no way through for a following HGV...I saw sense and moved my vehicle, it will take a very wise mind to find a solution to all the traffic problems in the town.

HB
Website Member

Website Member

26/10/2016 : 11:55:56      reply with quote

The bus company stopped using Kirkgate because of parked cars so they can go back to the old route
But the bus company will happily run the out of service busses through the high street.

The only way t release the congestion a bit would be a proper bypass not the silly lane one they are talking about. Then have a 7.5 tonne limit on the high street and they can use the bypass
Just a thought

Cobydaler
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 00:46:28      reply with quote

Nothing more than Bradford spin to get Silsdeners to put even more cash into their coffers .
Stop the free parking down the main street then cancel free parking in the car parks ( which the old Silsden RUDC paid for ) Funny how one of the ways towns are trying to get people back shopping in city centres is to re-introduce free parking . As for HGV'S using the new estates access to bypass Silsden main road how long do you think it would take for the new residents to get a wight limit imposed on safety grounds ??? . Time for Silsden to get out of Bradford altogether ( as threatened once before )
As for the yellow lines wonder if TUCOS will ignore them the same as they ignore the Zig Zag lines by the crossing , parking on the pavement & Driving out of the bottom of new road ?? .

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 09:27:18      reply with quote

talking about new road i saw a silver mpv flying down the one way on tues they didnt av a care in the world just thinking of themselves trying to miss the queue for the lights to come up new rd.only a matter of time before theres an accident 'angry');

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 09:53:26      reply with quote

Cobydaler, please enlighten me, what is or are TUCOS?

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 09:56:58      reply with quote

Happywalker is absolutely right about the crazy left turns from the canal bridge into Elliott Street. If cars are turning right onto Keighley Road from Elliott Street and their is a large/long vehicle (vans, lorries or especially buses) approaching to turn left then you are forced to move forwards; usually onto the yellow hatches in order to let the vehicle turn adequately. I have seen quite a few near misses! That left turn for a large or long vehicle is a significant danger to anyone else waiting at that junction.

Early Happywalker stated

“The vehicles in the remaining parking spaces will continue to act to slow through traffic sufficiently.”
It appears that it wont just slow traffic down on Kirkgate but pedestrians as well.. as folk are now so lazy to get out of there cars that they now deliberately park up to the shop windows to view sales before tapping on the window to call out the staff!! (see image)

I strongly believe in that a bypass is the only solution to the traffic problems (and housing) in Silsden and like HB not the pitiful tinkering by planners to enable minute percentages of monies from profiteering developers at the expense of the destruction of our township and community towards backstreet rat runs!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 18:49:03      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
Cobydaler, please enlighten me, what is or are TUCOS?
https://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-tucosgourmet-bd20/menu/?ppc=1&gclid=CKaU67zF-88CFdXNGwodP7sFlQ

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 21:23:05      reply with quote

posted by wildlifeman
Parking on the car park is free for 30 minutes, the same length of time you were allowed in the new double yellow lined area. Parking enforcement is active in Silsden, very visible around top of Aire View, Prince Street areas at school hours which is good. Kirkgate can be laughable, couple of months ago I parked at the last spot by the Red Lion and was just going to leave the car when a delivery arrived for the pub, van parked part on kerb and part on road....no way through for a following HGV...I saw sense and moved my vehicle, it will take a very wise mind to find a solution to all the traffic problems in the town.
I think you will find that there is NO allowed time to park on the double yellow lines, those signs will have been for the original parking bays.
Since parking stopped being a criminal offence and became a civil one double yellow lines do not need to have any signs at all.

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 21:43:58      reply with quote

If you read my post carefully you may find I referred to the "new double yellow lined area" Grandad, I was posting about its previous status as a free 30 minutes parking area. The urge to find something to moan about is easily constrained by an ability to read posts correctly

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

29/10/2016 : 17:12:51      reply with quote

I did read it and this is what you put,
posted by wildlifeman
Parking on the car park is free for 30 minutes, the same length of time you were allowed in the new double yellow lined area.

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

30/10/2016 : 08:22:08      reply with quote

Exactly Grandad, the fact that I posted "were" refers to the past i.e. before the double yellow lines were there....I hope that clarifies it sufficiently for you.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

30/10/2016 : 14:27:37      reply with quote

posted by wildlifeman
Exactly Grandad, the fact that I posted "were" refers to the past i.e. before the double yellow lines were there....I hope that clarifies it sufficiently for you.
Yes that is what you put.
But you were never allowed in the double yellow line area. There was time allowed when it was the limited waiting area, but parking never will be allowed in the double yellow lined area.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

30/10/2016 : 15:02:39      reply with quote

hell handbags at five paces'shocked 8O'); l get what u mean wildlifeman

wildlifeman
Website Member

Website Member

30/10/2016 : 17:00:08      reply with quote

Thanks doggy, if I had stated you could park on double yellow lines I would understand the response. The knowledge of regulations, rules and laws on here can be incredible as can the inability to read and understand a post properly

Replies in this thread : 45
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > double yellow lines down main street  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to