Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > St.John's Street

Replies in this thread : 12

Author

Topic : St.John's Street

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 18:53:48      reply with quote

The land which began to collapse on Boxing Day last year near the top of St.John's Street is finally going to be repaired this coming Monday. About time too.
click for more information

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/10/2016 : 20:41:19      reply with quote

Have they fixed the drain yet which was the cause of the problem in the first place?

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2016 : 12:30:35      reply with quote

Not sure if the Mitchell Lane storm drain was responsible for the damage Peter. Bradford's Senior Land Drainage Officer inspected the beck exit of the culvert leading from the storm drain & found that the culvert had had a plastic liner inserted into it. On that basis it was his opinion that no undermining could have taken place to cause the sinkage. Months later, the sunken area around the storm drain was filled in & tarmaced. It remains a mystery!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2016 : 15:19:33      reply with quote

posted by Mickyfinn
Not sure if the Mitchell Lane storm drain was responsible for the damage Peter. Bradford's Senior Land Drainage Officer inspected the beck exit of the culvert leading from the storm drain & found that the culvert had had a plastic liner inserted into it. On that basis it was his opinion that no undermining could have taken place to cause the sinkage. Months later, the sunken area around the storm drain was filled in & tarmaced. It remains a mystery!
Hmmm!

Make up your own mind from these pictures:

Picture taken 26-12-2015 - water flowing from the park down Mitchel Lane flows over the storm drain at the bottom of the lane.

Picture taken 26-12-2015 - the water from the storm drain should flow into the beck but there isn't much coming out of the outflow.

Picture taken 26-12-2015 - the water which flowed over the storm drain was diverted into the beck

Picture taken 26-12-2015 - the outflow from the diverted water shows how much water was not drained via the storm drain.

Picture taken 27-12-2015 - this picture was taken the following day and clearly shows the storm drain is blocked.

The reason Bradford are saying the drain is not leaking is because if they admitted it was leaking they would be liable to the repair of the area of subsidence.

So the drain is still blocked and next time we have heavy rainfall it will flood off the park and cause flooding in St Johns Street again...... sad :(

midway
Website Member

Website Member

28/10/2016 : 15:39:14      reply with quote

Lets be more positive on this Peter, surely the contractors will make good the drain when repairing the road.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

07/11/2016 : 12:35:44      reply with quote

The Job so far, and the drain, well i,m leaning towards it is not going to be repaired ( no one on the site was able to answer my questions ).

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

08/11/2016 : 12:06:39      reply with quote

I managed to speak to the good blokes undertaking the rebuilding of the Beck wall this afternoon.

To be fair one of the chaps was unsure as to its reason for its collapse but another chap..who appeared more intelligent explained to me his reasoning of why it collapsed.
He categorically believed that it was water coming from the top of the wall at St Johnís Street rather than water damage as a result of force from below at stream bed level.

His reason being that the foundations to the wall were perfectly in line and not out of abutment so it wasnít undermined by water from the beck. However this chap was not fully aware of the issue with the drain at St Johnís Street being overloaded / damaged / insufficient; In fact he was to the understanding and belief by some folk that water had been rushing over the wall had resulted in the collapse.

When I told him about the issue with the drain he immediately changed his overall understanding and went on to state that water beneath the road surface then had likely channelled its way through the sub surface to the wall head and the subsoil by the wall subsided to cause the overall collapse near to its top.

If you go and look at the damage face on, you can clearly see that the subsurface beneath the tarmac on the top left side, towards the St Johnís Street drain, has given way and is much looser material than the rest. Ironically he then went on to point about the trees within the embankment stating that their roots wouldnít have helped.

I state ironically here because this is exactly what I had explained previously here on this website. Any doubters as to my credentials and this story go ask them and see for yourself.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

08/11/2016 : 13:31:29      reply with quote

Well done Corky Yorky, now you have highlighted the drain issue with the men on site, hopefully they will investigate it more thoroughly.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

13/11/2016 : 14:29:11      reply with quote

The Job so far.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2016 : 13:12:57      reply with quote

The Job so far.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/12/2016 : 15:04:48      reply with quote

The job so far.

darter
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2016 : 12:16:03      reply with quote

Is it me or have they made the tarmac slope away from the wall and the 'outlet' hole thus directing more water down St John's Street instead of into the beck?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/12/2016 : 13:55:47      reply with quote

I see the hole in the wall has been put back but I'm not sure how any excess water is going to go through it because it looked to be too high to me as well. Perhaps it's a optical illusion, or perhaps the residents of St Johns Street should hope the storm drain at the bottom of Mitchell Lane has been fixed.

Replies in this thread : 12

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > St.John's Street  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to