Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > The Bell Square / Bolton Road Junction - traffic lights

Replies in this thread : 25

Author

Topic : The Bell Square / Bolton Road Junction - traffic lights

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2016 : 18:03:17      reply with quote

In April 2016 Highways proposed the following:

It is proposed to install Traffic Signals together with a pedestrian phase (red/green man) and an extension of the existing double yellow lines to protect one of the approaches.The scheme aims to decrease the amount of congestion when turning out of Bell Square onto Bolton Road and also reduce the number of road safety problems.
The proposal was unanimously rejected by STC and Highways went away to think about it again..

In November 2016 Highways proposed the following:

A Puffin Crossing (like the one at Elliot St / Kirkgate / Howden Rd) with a loop on Bell Square to change the lights to red to let any standing traffic on Bell Square out - the proposed crossing and lights was going to be on the east (lower) side of the junction.
STC decided a Puffin Crossing was an acceptable solution to the problem, but a stupid place to site the traffic lights / crossing.

The proposal as it stood was rejected unanimously by STC, but with the recommendation to site the traffic lights and crossing on the east side of the Bell Square junction.

In December 2016 Highways proposed the following:

To put the Puffin controlled crossing on the east side of Bell Square (where the bus stop is).

The bus shelter will remain where it is but the stop for the bus will be moved up to the bridge.

Any standing traffic trying to get out of Bell Square will trigger a loop to change the lights to red, as will any pedestrians trying to cross Bolton Road at the crossing.

There will be a yellow cross-hatched area in front of Bell Square to prevent the blocking of the junction.
STC accepted this proposal and work to make this happen will be starting soon.

click for more information

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2016 : 18:50:21      reply with quote

And when the bus stops at the bus stop going to Ilkley, traffic going up Bolton Rd will stop behind the bus because of traffic coming down Bolton Rd into Silsden, result will be traffic standing across Bell Sq junction in hatch area. It happens all the time at the Elliott St junction.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2016 : 19:36:21      reply with quote

STC wanted the bus stop removed, as it isn't really necessary, there is a bus stop just round the corner outside Twisters. STC suggested the bus shelter could be moved to the bus stop opposite Twisters. The Bradford powers that be decided otherwise.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2016 : 21:50:12      reply with quote

Peter
I thought, this would be coming back to STC when a planning application was submitted?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2016 : 22:16:47      reply with quote

CITY OF BRADFORD METROPOLITAN DISTRICT COUNCIL ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATION ACT 1984 - SECTION 23 INSTALLATION OF A PUFFIN CROSSING FACILITY ON BOLTON ROAD, SILSDEN
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN pursuant to Section 23(2)(b) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 that City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council having consulted with the Chief Officer of Police and informed the Secretary of State in writing pursuant to the provisions of Section 23(2)(a) and (c) of the said Act proposes to install a puffin pedestrian crossing facility situated on Bolton Road, Silsden close to the junction with Bell Square, Silsden. A copy of drawing number:- TDG/THN/103183/GA-1Ashowing the pedestrian crossing may be examined at the Customer Services Reception, Ground Floor, City Hall, Bradford and at Customer Services Reception, Keighley Town Hall.

If you wish to make comments upon the proposed puffin crossing you should send the grounds for your objection in writing to reach the undersigned by no later than 12 noon on 23rd December 2016 quoting reference:- LEG/ PCD/CEB/02729.
Dated this 2nd day of December 2016 City Solicitor, City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council, City Hall, BRADFORD BD1 1HY

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2016 : 22:23:33      reply with quote

Thanks Peter, So much for democracy, Can't even comment via planning portal.

Harvey spicer
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2016 : 07:03:00      reply with quote

it wont be the first time a stupid council have put a crossing in the wrong place

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289562/Kirklees-Council-wastes-130k-pedestrian-crossing-used.html

by the time the legal bills were paid this would have cost nearly half a million pounds !!!

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2016 : 09:57:22      reply with quote

Will there be parking restrictions outside the nursery school when this is done.??

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2016 : 10:44:34      reply with quote

posted by wheelaman123
Will there be parking restrictions outside the nursery school when this is done.??
They would have to park on the crossing, which is illegal.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2016 : 11:07:12      reply with quote

posted by grandad
Thanks Peter, So much for democracy, Can't even comment via planning portal.
It's interesting that the traffic notice was published in the Lancashire Telegraph
goo.gl/tnUkYQ almost like they didn't want anyone to know about it! However, it does tick the box which declares the scheme must be published, just not where the people it will affect might read it. This is not the first time a Highways notice which affects Silsden has appeared in this publication.

Highways seems to operate on a different world to the rest of planning..... "they know best" so there is no need to consult the people on how their schemes will affect the locals. The only reason STC were consulted was because the first hair-brained solution they proposed - escaped.

x-ref
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=8363

Highways schemes are not subject to the usual planning requirements where the local council get to approve, all that is required is for the Ward Councillors to sign it off.

Say no more!

midway
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2016 : 11:22:16      reply with quote

So the representative totally disregarded the concerns the council discussed with him, from what i remember he said quote " i will consult then get back to you".

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2016 : 11:33:38      reply with quote

posted by midway
So the representative totally disregarded the concerns the council discussed with him, from what i remember he said quote " i will consult then get back to you".
There was a statement read out (from Highways) at the Dec STC meeting with the information about what they were going to do. As it complied (apart from the bus stop) with the scheme STC said was acceptable at the Nov meeting ie crossing on the east side of the junction, there was no need for further consultation.

forum4silsden
Administrator

Administrator

16/12/2016 : 15:59:34      reply with quote

The Puffin Crossing will be installed, delays possible

23 Dec 2016 - 9 Jan 2017

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - you didn't want to go anywhere - did you?

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

16/12/2016 : 17:13:10      reply with quote

I cannot believe this, what is the urgency that they need to be doing it now with all the other stuff going on, madness!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/12/2016 : 09:49:38      reply with quote

The position of the crossing is now marked out on the road.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

22/12/2016 : 16:40:27      reply with quote

I hope nobody is hoping to get anywhere with this lot and the lights on Keighley road when they return.
Just a thought, does this mean they will be working over Christmas and New Year, or just leaving the lights up block traffic?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/12/2016 : 16:57:16      reply with quote

Stop moaning. happy :)

Something needed to be done to improve this junction where there has been many minor accidents. It will be a quiet time of the year and I'm sure a lot of the work will be done without traffic lights.

Now the Keighley Road traffic lights have been removed, perhaps those of you that live to the west will be able to get to Aldi and Keighley easier - now that's an exciting thought!!!!! NOT.

Put your car away and enjoy Christmas - go for a walk!

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

23/12/2016 : 19:35:16      reply with quote

Like many others I voiced my objection to the original plans for traffic lights at this junction. The work now going ahead would appear to be a sensible compromise.
Key to it working will be to keep the parking restrictions down by the present Post Office.
There is no doubt that they have helped the Steeton bound traffic make its way through the town more smoothly. Remove the restrictions and you will simply get obstructed, standing traffic on Bolton Road blocking the exit from Bell Square and all of the work and money will be rendered pointless.
Well done to the town council for standing up to the Highways Dept on this occasion.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

24/12/2016 : 10:05:44      reply with quote

Ok I am moaning.
If you look at the plans you will see they have left the junction as a give way, I think it should be a stop.
Useless drivers will still come to the junction look down to the Town hall and pull out, if the
lights are on green.
If the lights are red and the first vehicle wants to turn right it can't and the traffic behind will still not be able to turn left.
A mini roundabout would have meant all traffic from any direction would have had to be prepared to stop, but if it was clear they could keep moving.
This will not stop collisions and it will cause congestion.
In time We will see.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

24/12/2016 : 10:50:13      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Peter Could you explain where the lights are, are they outside the King or outside Purple garlic. Because the way I understand it they are going outside the King but if that is so I don't understand the last post.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/12/2016 : 12:15:19      reply with quote

Where the bus shelter is, just up from the Kings Arms.

It should stop all the parking outside the nursery which causes a lot of problems as well. The little darlings will have to walk from the car park.

solid wood flooring

victor
Website Member

Website Member

24/12/2016 : 13:39:55      reply with quote

thanks Peter, I wont say any more.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

24/12/2016 : 15:27:22      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

that should work out well if there definatly is a box junction covering the exit from bell sq,to stop uphill traffic blocking it off'happy :)');

Dodzi
Website Member

Website Member

04/01/2017 : 14:27:16      reply with quote

Has this work started yet?

Steve 4708
Website Member

Website Member

04/01/2017 : 17:09:01      reply with quote

I have just come off the phone after speaking to a polite and helpful gent from Bradford Highways dept. The Bell Square work is put on hold for the time being due to the conflicting road chaos down by Aldi. He explained that they were going to try and undertake the Bell Square work during the Christmas/New Year period whilst there was a window of opportunity. For reasons best known to them, they could not do this. I dare say that the puffin crossing will be completed after the beck works have been completed???

What was a bit disconcerting was a mention of more road digging near to the new housing to facilitate sewer and services to the houses. I thought some of that had already been completed?

He is also quite aware of the situation with the traffic lights being on place and no workers doing anything and is in the process of pushing the contractor for an explanation.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

04/01/2017 : 21:10:11      reply with quote

Work has in fact started. Today there was an attempt to move the bus shelter a few yards further up Bolton Road. I am not sure that using the front of a single decker bus was the right way to go about it as considerable damage was caused in the process!

Replies in this thread : 25

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > The Bell Square / Bolton Road Junction - traffic lights  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to