Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Wouldn't it be good if .... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Double stones

Replies in this thread : 8

Author

Topic : Double stones

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 11:01:01      reply with quote

Someone in a Facebook group I am in posted a photograph of a stone formation in Cornwall. If my memory serves me well, it was called "The Cheese Wire Stones". Not sure if that is just the caption given to the photograph or their real name.

The point to my post is that these looked very similar to Double Stones, up by the Nab. I obviously they are geologically different types of stone and had different characteristic features. These had a series of lines cut or eroded into them. I looked for a Google image of double stones, but couldn't find one? I looked on John's Blog, but didn't find one. I have visited them thousands of times, been on midnight Walks with the scouts and even had lunch on them before now and must have countless pictures on various different media, yet I couldn't find one when I wanted to show a comparison to the two formations???

Google images for Silsden had a good range of pictures both new and old, but nothing even close to the Nab.

Anyone any ideas as to any other electronic source?
click for more information

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 11:10:31      reply with quote

I have revisited the page and they are the Cheese wring Stones on Bodmin Moor, if anyone has heard of/seen them?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 11:48:26      reply with quote

www.happyhiker.co.uk/MyWalks/WestYorkshire/SteetontoIlkleyviaDoublerStones/Hiking%20Pages%20-%20Steeton%20to%20Ilkley%20via%20the%20Doubler%20Stones.htm

midway
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 11:49:10      reply with quote

Is this any good?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 11:52:15      reply with quote

A local legend says that the Cheesewring is the result of a contest between a man and a giant. When Christianity had just been introduced to the British Islands, the giants who lived at the top of the mountains were not happy about it. The saints had invaded their land and were declaring their wells as sacred. One of the larger giants, Uther, was given the task of ridding their land of the saints. He confronted the frail Saint Tue, who proposed a rock throwing contest. If Uther won, the saints would leave Cornwall. If Saint Tue won, then the giants would convert to Christianity. Uther took his turn first and easily threw a small rock to the top of nearby Stowe's Hill. Tue prayed for assistance, and picking up a huge slab found it was very light. One after the other, they threw their rocks, stacking them up in perfect piles. When the score was twelve stones each, Uther threw a thirteenth stone, but it rolled down the hill. Tue picked up this fallen stone, and as he lifted it, an angel appeared to carry it to the top of the pile of rocks. Seeing this, Uther conceded, and most of the giants decided to follow Christianity after that

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 11:55:24      reply with quote

Doubler Stones, Addingham Moorside
OTHER DESIGNATIONS:
COUNTY: West Yorkshire
DISTRICT: Bradford
OS GRID REF. SE 073 465
OS SHEET 1:50,000 Landranger 104 Leeds and Bradford
OS SHEET 1:25,000 Explorer 297 Lower Wharfedale and Washburn Valley
BGS 1:50,000 Sheet 69 Bradford (Solid and Drift Edition)
FIRST DESIGNATED by West Yorkshire RIGS Group in 1996
DATE OF MOST RECENT SURVEY Visited January 2009 by West Yorkshire Geology
Trust
SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION produced by Neil Aitkenhead
DESIGNATION SHEET UPDATED August 2009
SITE DESCRIPTION
The site contains exposures of the Doubler Stones Sandstone of Upper Carboniferous
Namurian age which displays a range of structural and weathering features.
The two rock stacks contain well preserved cross bedded structures and areas of
honeycomb weathering. The rock is a coarse, pebbly gritstone which forms the capstones
of the stacks with underlying beds of friable material displaying extensive weathering,
probably by sand-laden wind abrasion in a periglacial environment towards the end of the
last (Devensian) glaciation.
HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
EDUCATIONAL VALUE:
The quarry has interesting geological features, while the Doubler Stones allow discussion
of periglacial weathering processes.
AESTHETIC CHARACTERISTICS:
This is a spectacular site, with views to the south and west. The second rock stack is not
seen from the track and only becomes apparent once the observer is at the same level as
the top of the quarry.
ACCESS AND SAFETY:
It is possible to park on Lightbank Lane (SE 062 470). Walk south west along Lightbank
Lane to SE 066 463; turn east following the farm access road to Doubler Stones. There is
no access to the site by wheelchair.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 16:15:12      reply with quote

This is not necessarily correct, the bridleway is now a concrete path.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

17/12/2016 : 17:20:20      reply with quote

Thank you everyone who responded. Actually learnt a bit more about the stone formations in the process.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

18/12/2016 : 11:19:06      reply with quote

Thought you could be interested, not been easy to find for the last 30 odd years, Rivock oven cave, and the one below is Rivock oven well.

Replies in this thread : 8

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Wouldn't it be good if .... > Double stones   

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to