Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Recycling - News from Feb 28th

Replies in this thread : 20

Author

Topic : Recycling - News from Feb 28th

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

10/02/2017 : 20:25:39      reply with quote

Bradmet are making some important changes to how you can recycle. From 28 February 2017 you can put more items in your recycling waste (grey) bin. There will be no need to separate your recycling.

www.bradford.gov.uk/recycling-and-waste/bin-collections/all-in-one-recycling/
click for more information

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

10/02/2017 : 20:49:47      reply with quote

At long last some good news, this is progress, more items can be included now, makes it much better......

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/02/2017 : 22:04:45      reply with quote

Softening us up for next weeks announcement of fortnightly general waste collections.

Can you put newspaper in with glass bottles?

Will it all go to landfill once Bradford Council get it or will they sort it?

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 08:14:48      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Softening us up for next weeks announcement of fortnightly general waste collections.
Can you put newspaper in with glass bottles?
Will it all go to landfill once Bradford Council get it or will they sort it?
The article says everything in one bin except maybe half a dozen things like polystyrene.

As you say gazzer it is inevitable we will go to 2 weekly collections very soon which I`m afraid will only be a precursor for 3 weekly I`m sure.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 08:48:46      reply with quote

I thought the article said the recyclable would be collected one week and the general waste the next. Isn't that a fortnightly collection?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 09:01:24      reply with quote

posted by Peter
I thought the article said the recyclable would be collected one week and the general waste the next. Isn't that a fortnightly collection?
Only in Wyke so far

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/recycling-and-waste/bin-collections/alternate-week-bin-collections/

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 09:13:14      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

It will make life simple for lazy people but I still cant get my head around mixing it all together and then paying someone to hand sort it later. When you think the milkman used to collect empties and when we were kids we used to take pop bottles back to the shop for a few pennies spending money.Are we actually moving forward?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IgOMpM2-os

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 09:43:58      reply with quote

gazzer, you don't think that it is all sorted by hand? Machines do a lot of it, and if you wait a while longer the robots will do it all anyway.
If we are recycling more in future as per the new system, then fortnightly for both bins will probably suit most people.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 10:02:55      reply with quote

It seems the trial in Wyke worked well, locals took it all on board and got on with it... so should we in Silsden. Be positive for a change...

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 12:06:26      reply with quote

Im sure in a civilised country we can recycle more AND collect general waste once a week.Im lucky I dont live in a terraced house or back to back where a stinking wheelie bin will be outside my living room window for a fortnight and im not selfish enough not to be concerned about the many across the bradford area that do.
But lets not think this is about people recycling more its a cut in a service.And then having been told diesel cars were better than petrol they are saying if I have extra household waste I should load it into my diesel car and take it to Keighley waste centre where before long it will be taken to an incinerator and burnt sending pollution into the air that we breath. The green way forward is less packaging to start with.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 12:52:54      reply with quote

gazzer, Our milkman still does take away the empty bottles each time he delivers our fresh milk!
And yes the answer is for less packaging, but also no packaging that can't be recycled, anything which is biodegradable should be used to produce gas and turned in electricity.
We do not have a smelly bin in our garden because all out recyclable waste is put in a tied plastic bag before it goes in the bin.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 18:24:51      reply with quote

posted by grandad

We do not have a smelly bin in our garden because all out recyclable waste is put in a tied plastic bag before it goes in the bin.
How do they recyle waste that is in a tied bag?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

11/02/2017 : 19:58:25      reply with quote

They empty the bag, gazzer... and maybe recycle the bag as well, as it's plastic

bandnwire
Website Member

Website Member

12/02/2017 : 12:20:26      reply with quote

It will probably all go in the incinerator anyway.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

12/02/2017 : 22:09:13      reply with quote

Sorry if my post was confusing, ALL our recyclable waste is washed before it goes in the bins, it is the general waste that is put in bags then into the green bin, which got to landfill; until the new wonderful incinerator comes on line, then it will be burnt to generate electricity.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

13/02/2017 : 09:12:25      reply with quote

posted by dexter
They empty the bag, gazzer... and maybe recycle the bag as well, as it's plastic
But it is quite specific on the Bradford Council website.....No Plastic Bags

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/recycling-and-waste/bin-collections/all-in-one-recycling/

I get the point of using bags for general waste(Grandad)

hat
Website Member

Website Member

13/02/2017 : 09:31:13      reply with quote

you'll probably find that the resources used in washing rubbish outweighs the benefit of recycling it.

seriously though, add up the waste of first the garden waste bags & now the blue bin inserts, how long will it take before the cost of producing & then destroying all of that is recouped?

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

13/02/2017 : 14:32:52      reply with quote

posted by hat
you'll probably find that the resources used in washing rubbish outweighs the benefit of recycling it.

seriously though, add up the waste of first the garden waste bags & now the blue bin inserts, how long will it take before the cost of producing & then destroying all of that is recouped?
Only IF you use fresh resources, we use the washing up water left when we have finished washing the plates etc. Or do you waste resources but using a dish washer?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

13/02/2017 : 18:25:17      reply with quote

posted by hat

This is correct.If you have a combi boiler that is not near your sink you turn the tap on.This starts a sequence where your boiler does various checks before the burner starts.Thats why it takes time for the hot water to arrive at your tap.A combi uses a lot of gas to heat hot water.Then you wash your tins out and turn your tap off.Most of the water heated up is still in the pipework.So the cost of that and if you have a water meter suddenly you are not as green as you thought you are.
But dont be put off, recycling is better than landfill anyday.

Watching ITV news tonight it featured a problem that is getting worse since Permits/Charges/Fortnightly bin collections started increasing.

www.itv.com/news/2017-02-13/grot-spot-britain-worst-fly-tipping-spots-across-britain/

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

23/02/2017 : 07:39:35      reply with quote

The way forward which will also help the litter problem

Drinks manufacturer, Coca-Cola, has said it is in favour of a “well-designed” deposit return scheme (DRS) for Scotland after having previously been opposed to such a move. At a Holyrood event, the company said it would supports a DRS, with a spokesperson saying, “it’s already clear from our conversations with experts that the time is right to trial new interventions such as a well-designed deposit scheme for drinks containers, starting in Scotland where conversations are underway”,

victor
Website Member

Website Member

23/02/2017 : 08:36:24      reply with quote

Why don't people read the information sent to them. they are putting their bin inserts next to the bins and the paper is blowing out of them. THE DATE OF THE CHANGES IS next week the 28th OF FEB.
solid wood flooring

Replies in this thread : 20

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > Recycling - News from Feb 28th  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to