Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Puffin Crossing - work starts 6th May - 6 Jul (2 way traffic lights?)

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Puffin Crossing - work starts 6th May - 6 Jul (2 way traffic lights?)

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2017 : 15:41:03      reply with quote

The marks are on the pavement. I'm not sure how this is going to work with 2 way light control for the work, but Bradford Highways know best!?!?

click for more information

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2017 : 21:35:53      reply with quote

The position of the arrow appears more south west than north east, it shows it below Bell square not above?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

07/04/2017 : 22:21:57      reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the position on the map, the marks drawn on the pavement show where the crossing will actually be - just before the bridge. I thought the actual crossing was going to be on the bridge, but that's not how it's marked out.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

26/05/2017 : 22:34:29      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Well, the Pelican crossing has apparently been finished and the lights are working, but you might note the short length zigzag lines on the east side and the dip in the road (which is getting worse), just before where the zigzag lines start. Cars outside the houses will still be parking on the pavement and shortening the stopping distance to the lights.

I see a different sort of accident waiting to happen!

Bell Square is still a give way junction and there will still be the temptation to turn right out of Bell Square without ensuring the road is clear from the right.

For those of you that park outside Helping Hands to drop off your little darlings, take a minute to look up and note the webcam which will be watching you parked on the zigzag lines. happy :)

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

27/05/2017 : 08:22:36      reply with quote

the painted keep clear box is about useless, if cars come up to its end mark u will have a hell of a job turning down in anything but a small car, as its too high up, it needs extending down a couple of metres.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

27/05/2017 : 10:37:29      reply with quote

Only time will tell if Bradford highways or the people of Silsden were right about this.
I believe once again Highways will be proved wrong.

cars
Website Member

Website Member

28/05/2017 : 18:50:23      reply with quote

why ???? spend a thought on this shit ???

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/05/2017 : 20:49:20      reply with quote

posted by cars
why ???? spend a thought on this shit ???
The use of the English language seems to be a little misused, what does it all mean?

cars
Website Member

Website Member

28/05/2017 : 22:46:05      reply with quote

LOL

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2017 : 09:31:08      reply with quote

Are these lights working yet or is it a case that nobody uses the pelican?.I have not seen them on red yet

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2017 : 11:36:55      reply with quote

They do work, saw a lady with a dog use them to cross a couple of days ago.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2017 : 20:25:13      reply with quote

I used them twice this morning, they do work, but I still don't believe they are are use in reducing the collisions at Bell square.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2017 : 10:20:40      reply with quote

granddad this is the second time we have agreed on a subject, we had better be careful.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2017 : 11:31:53      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

its great you pull up to the line at bell square ,jump out of your car press the crossing button and by the time you are back in your car they are changing and you pull out simples'laugh :D'); 'wink ;)'); ps have`nt seen them change yet for traffic to pull out when no one at crossing ,like the ones at elliott st and howden rd do.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2017 : 15:14:06      reply with quote

Spotted, car facing the wrong way, parked on the zigzag lines outside Helping Hands sporting a very fetching parking ticket.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

06/06/2017 : 16:44:51      reply with quote

doggy, it doesn't look to me that there are any loops in Bell square to detect vehicles. Looks like we have once again been short changed by Bradford.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/06/2017 : 17:25:06      reply with quote

There is "some sort" of device pointed at the Bell Square junction. You can see it on a pole attached to the traffic lights on the Kings Arms side. What it does is anyone's guess - perhaps it is a motion detector, perhaps it's just a camera so they can record the accident?

On the other side there is a camera pointing down at the entrance to Helping Hands.

tetleydrinker
Website Member

Website Member

06/06/2017 : 17:59:52      reply with quote

It is a Puffin Crossing, i.e. lights that are designed to aid crossing the road by Pedestrians.

"A pedestrian user friendly intelligent crossing (puffin crossing) is a type of pedestrian crossing in use in the United Kingdom.

The design is distinct in that the lights controlling the pedestrians are on the same side of the road as the pedestrian user, rather than on the opposite side as in the older pelican crossing it replaces.

Most Puffin crossings have sensors on top of the traffic lights, although some may be buried in the ground in the waiting area. The sensors can spot if pedestrians are waiting to cross.

Other sensors can spot if pedestrians are already crossing the road. Drivers waiting at the Puffin crossing will only be allowed to continue after these pedestrians have finished crossing the road"

It is not designed to improve the flow of traffic in and out of Bell Square, or there would a set of lights at the Bell square junction.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/06/2017 : 19:26:47      reply with quote

It is not designed to improve the flow of traffic in and out of Bell Square, or there would a set of lights at the Bell square junction.
If there is not a traffic sensor on the Bell Square juction then we have been short-changed because that is what Bradford Traffic said there would be at a meeting with STC.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

23/06/2017 : 12:44:03      reply with quote

at them thursday and they must av updated them to auto change as they changed to red themselves with no one at the crossing as i was waiting to pull out of bell sq, 'happy :)');

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/06/2017 : 13:07:50      reply with quote

If you look very carefully at the road (just in front of the give way line) there is a tared oblong with the tared line to the lights ie there is a loop buried in the road.
solid wood flooring

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

23/06/2017 : 20:27:05      reply with quote

Indeed there is a sensor and it does work to change the lights when there are no pedestrians, but it seemed to need two cars, or at least I had been waiting long enough this morning for another car to come up behind before it changed. Maybe it only changes if a car's been waiting for 30 seconds or something.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

24/06/2017 : 02:34:47      reply with quote

yes it must av a timer as no one was behind me.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/07/2017 : 19:44:45      reply with quote

I have said all along the number of incidents with cars pulling out of Bell Sq was down to an optical illusion where you dont see cars outside Aire Valley Insurance. The last couple of days have seen roadworks which have pushed cars towards the Memorial Gardens and hey presto..its easy to see them when coming out of Bell Sq

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2017 : 16:50:23      reply with quote

I stood and watched this junction for about 15 mins from 8.30 am on Wednesday morning, very interesting.
Some of the times it worked well, other times things went wrong I.E.
The lights went to red cars pulled out to turn left, stopped at the lights and cars wanting to turn right couldn't get past them.
Cars stopped at the lights and formed a line right across the junction blocking it.
One car came to the end of Bell square saw the lights were on red; because people had been crossing the road, drove straight across into the nursery, by which time the lights had gone to green, they were very nearly hit by a car starting off from the lights coming into town.
No matter what is done some drivers can't be helped.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

20/07/2017 : 17:15:34      reply with quote

When there is an accident there - there will be a camera waiting to record it.

cars
Website Member

Website Member

21/07/2017 : 19:49:40      reply with quote

Grandad, can we have a diagram please...........Jesus Christ are you real

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/07/2017 : 11:25:11      reply with quote

Cars, your response to Grandads observations are a bit rude!

Perhaps you should take yourself off to the Kings and sit outside with a pint and observe, but please report back. happy :)

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2017 : 09:44:16      reply with quote

Thank you Peter.
I think blaspheme is still illegal!
If cars can't be civil they should not be allowed on here.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2017 : 16:27:06      reply with quote

Look at the pot calling the kettle black.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2017 : 18:06:15      reply with quote

Victor your the one that would know.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/07/2017 : 18:11:00      reply with quote

When in a hole stop digging. Stop it please.

cars
Website Member

Website Member

25/07/2017 : 17:07:44      reply with quote

can we have a diagram of your observations , please,please,please, pretty please (I like Victor)

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

26/07/2017 : 14:03:34      reply with quote

cars, if you want to learn what the effect of the lights is, why don't you do the same has grandad did, go down and watch for yourself.

cars
Website Member

Website Member

26/07/2017 : 20:28:54      reply with quote

I just thought that the wisdom one, may like to share chapter and verse, that's all. Besides I have some paint that needs watching whilst drying

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

27/07/2017 : 17:53:56      reply with quote

SO, what you are saying is, that you are not at all interested in what happens at the Bell Sq junction?

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Puffin Crossing - work starts 6th May - 6 Jul (2 way traffic lights?)  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to