Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > esta application

Replies in this thread : 6

Author

Topic : esta application

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

31/05/2017 : 08:30:07      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

cant get on the official esta site to apply for us visa has anyone else had this problem?
click for more information

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

31/05/2017 : 16:41:46      reply with quote

I've just been on the esta.cbp.dhs.gov site, which looks authentic. There are many spoof sites that try and get a payment from you to apply on your behalf.

If you put the word visa into your browser, that might be why you didn't get anywhere because the Visa Waiver Programme is there so you don't need to apply for a visa.

I assume that you are aware that an esta is valid for two years, just in case you have one.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I didn't have trouble accessing the site aforementioned.

Good luck.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

31/05/2017 : 19:33:07      reply with quote

yes the spoof sites ask for $79 instead of $14,i only go on the official site but if you renew your passport u have to get the esta usa and eta for canada again even if they av time to go yet,the canada eta lasts for the life of the passport

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

31/05/2017 : 20:26:33      reply with quote

I, like many others, probably, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

31/05/2017 : 20:33:33      reply with quote

By the way guys, i had a green card to work in the USA in the 1970-80's, plus a card to work offshore. This thing you talk about, is this something new?

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

01/06/2017 : 09:38:48      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

yes they have been needed to travel to usa & canada for about 2 years now,any old permit /visa are now spent.

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

01/06/2017 : 10:04:43      reply with quote

Mickyfinn, ESTA is the abbreviation for Electronics System for Travel Authorisation. Before ESTA, a US visa had to be applied for, which at best caused you to be without your passport whilst it was with the US Embassy in London waiting for approval and stamping. At worst, it required an interview at the Embassy if there was something that they didn't like. It was also a tedious, time-consuming procedure for the US Homeland Security staff.

The Americans eventually realised that most applications were for families travelling to Wally World for a couple of weeks. So ESTA was born, referred to as the Visa Waiver system and that's exactly what it does.

The application is done online and whilst some checks are done in real time, approved applications are usually notified immediately. It gives you a number which has to be quoted for every flight or sea journey to the USA. It is valid for 2 years and has been operational for at least 6 years (because I've had 3 of them to date). It only operates for selected countries.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make the bedside manners of US immigration officers manning the entry gates any less rude than they have always been!

Replies in this thread : 6

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > esta application  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to