Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Bolton Road / Dale View junction - an accident waiting to happen?

Replies in this thread : 24

Author

Topic : Bolton Road / Dale View junction - an accident waiting to happen?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 12:17:34      reply with quote

Well, the title is slightly misleading because there has already been accidents here.

In 2014 Snell's started building houses at the top of Banklands Lane which leads onto Dale View and the exit onto Bolton Road. Most of the houses exit onto Daisy Hill but with other developments at the top of Banklands Lane there is a significant increase in traffic using the Dale View junction.

Snell's were charged (I think), 6,000 in the form of S106 money for Bradford to improve the Dale View / Bolton Road junction - to date nothing has been done, but the traffic has increased dramatically on Bolton Road and it doesn't go any slower.

This junction is likely to be one of the access roads to the new school. It has high curbs and is not an easy junction to use - you can't cut the corner.

Now idiots are are parking on both sides of Dale View, very near to the junction, making Dale View a single track road. If there is a vehicle exiting Dale View, any vehicle wanting to get into Dale View there is no where to go. It's not a nice feeling stuck halfway on Bolton Road and halfway into Dale View!

The vehicles that park close to the junction are not residents of Dale View and have no idea of the danger they are putting the residents that live in the area and have to use Dale View - STOP PARKING THERE PLEASE.

How close can you park to a street corner?
In most jurisdictions, you must park at least 20 feet or 6 metres from the corner; but more space is better. This will allow enough room for drivers to make turns and for drivers to position themselves to share the road with you. The other part of this is that it can protect your vehicle from possible damage.

click for more information

victor
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 15:00:57      reply with quote

Sorry Peter but it was Croft builders who paid 6500 as a condition to planning permission to build 14 houses on Wayside mews. The money was for alterations to the Bolton road Dale view junction, this was over two years ago.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 15:30:00      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

get double yellows on either side for last 20yds problem part solved.and yes when school up and running it will be worse 'sad :(');

robin
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 15:35:05      reply with quote

Double yellows wont solve the problem, anymore than the white stretch Hs have outside the curve and the houses on bridge street, motorists know they wont be challenged.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 15:52:43      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by victor
Sorry Peter but it was Croft builders who paid 6500 as a condition to planning permission to build 14 houses on Wayside mews. The money was for alterations to the Bolton road Dale view junction, this was over two years ago.
Thank you for the correction. It's very difficult to find information after the planning application has been granted, I was close!

Double yellow lines is about all 6,500 will pay for. It doesn't alter the fact nothing has been done by Bradford and the parking on the junction is getting worse.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 21:04:30      reply with quote

Its not just road users that are at risk of an accident at this road and conjecture.

I notice from the photo that parking a van on the pavement a few yards up on Dale View forces pedestrians onto the road.

Quite a lot of children use this route to get to the park..and will use this route, no doubt when the proposed new school gets built.

A lot needs to be addressed here.

I wonder if Bradford have taken this into account?

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

02/10/2017 : 21:15:06      reply with quote

Peter, I totally agree with your comments on this post. This junction, and the other ones proposed in connection with the new school are dangerous. The limited views and angle at which the junction needs to be taken make them wholly unsuitable.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/10/2017 : 09:31:33      reply with quote

posted by victor
It is possible this money has been spent on another project.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/10/2017 : 10:49:18      reply with quote

It has not been spent, but I suspect it will suddenly be available when the school is being built ie when they have to put some sort of traffic management in at this junction.

In the meantime do we have to wait for another 18 months for something to be done for a problems which was identified and recognised years ago?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

03/10/2017 : 18:52:46      reply with quote

And during construction of the school vehicles like this will be an every day event.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/10/2017 : 19:04:33      reply with quote

One of those lorries tried to use Banklands to get to the park and ended up reversing back onto Bolton Road and gauging a big hole in the road. Even if it had got into Banklands it would have never negotiated the corner at the bottom of Fletcher Avenue.

Exciting times to come!

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

03/10/2017 : 21:17:08      reply with quote

I have noted on a previous post the fact that a traffic survey is to be conducted in respect of the "new school". One would think that no school plans would be approved, or work carried out, pending the result of the survey... or whats the point in having one.
What happens if the result of the survey is that the only current access points to the school are deemed inappropriate? Will plans not be approved until proper access roads are agreed?
I also note that the matter is to be discussed at the STC on Thursday.What power does the STC have to put a hold on everything until the matter of fit for purpose access roads is set in stone.?
Councils are being held accountable for their decisions these days (Grenfell Tower). If school traffic is going to use the.present junctions, be it onto Bolton Road or Howden Road, there is the real prospect of some serious accidents in the future.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/10/2017 : 22:42:57      reply with quote

posted by Happywalker
1. I have noted on a previous post the fact that a traffic survey is to be conducted in respect of the "new school". One would think that no school plans would be approved, or work carried out, pending the result of the survey... or whats the point in having one.

2. What happens if the result of the survey is that the only current access points to the school are deemed inappropriate? Will plans not be approved until proper access roads are agreed?

3. I also note that the matter is to be discussed at the STC on Thursday.What power does the STC have to put a hold on everything until the matter of fit for purpose access roads is set in stone.?

4. Councils are being held accountable for their decisions these days (Grenfell Tower). If school traffic is going to use the.present junctions, be it onto Bolton Road or Howden Road, there is the real prospect of some serious accidents in the future.
1. The traffic survey is part of the requirement of the planning application. It will be massaged to fit the requirement.

2. The access points to the school will be deemed to be not ideal but given the location of the new school, and the fact there is no other suitable location for the school, they will have to make the best of a bad job. However, with suitable traffic management (traffic lights) in various locations the traffic will still crawl through Silsden.

3. STC does not have any executive powers, which means they can recommend but not enforce their recommendations. STC recommendations do have more sway over Bradford than any objects we may have but it will only be to tinker at the edges. BMDC will submit their plans for the new school, they have bought extra ground for the school, and they will have the final vote on the approval of the school.

4. This is BMDC we are talking about, the council which is removing facilities from Silsden and replacing them with houses. We have to have a new school because Bradford want to increase the population of Silsden by building on our greenfields instead of developing Bradford's brown field sites. Our infrastructure is Victorian, but greenfields are easy to build on and Bradford gets lots of money from the developers.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 09:14:10      reply with quote

That last post paints a pretty bleak but realistic picture of the situation. I do not live anywhere near the proposed school, but I have a real concern for the parents and children as they make their way to and from it.
It is likely that some parents will park on Bolton Road above the junction with Dale View and walk up..... to avoid the traffic chaos on Dale View / Banklands itself.
Could somebody with a camera who knows how to post them do the following.
(1). Take a drivers eye view from a car at the junction of Dale View looking right up Bolton Road.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 09:19:36      reply with quote

Cont.
The photo should be taken without the front of the car crossing the give way line.
Maybe a second photo could be taken with a car parked on Bolton Road above the junction.
It should be remembered that the overall stopping distance of a car travelling at 30mph is 75 feet.
(2) could another picture be taken of the view of a driver at the junction of Daisy Hill onto Howden Road.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 09:52:00      reply with quote

Peter do we know what STC think of the position of the new school site, I hope we find out on Thursday, but I am not very hopeful.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 10:29:20      reply with quote

posted by Happywalker
Cont.
The photo should be taken without the front of the car crossing the give way line.
Maybe a second photo could be taken with a car parked on Bolton Road above the junction.
It should be remembered that the overall stopping distance of a car travelling at 30mph is 75 feet.
(2) could another picture be taken of the view of a driver at the junction of Daisy Hill onto Howden Road.
The document below is a proposal I submitted to STC in April 2010 about the Dale View / Bolton Road junction:

news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Bolton_Road_Road_Markings_proposal.pdf

It does show the sight lines from a drivers perspective and a suggestion to improve the junction.

STC forwarded the document to Bradford Highways and no feedback or comment ever came back...... sad :(

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 11:16:22      reply with quote

Excellent Peter, thankyou. Again, I think your photo could include a car parked on Bolton Road by the junction as there is nothing to prevent that at present.
Could I trouble you or somebody to do similar with Daisy Hill / Howden Road. Its even worse.

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 11:39:55      reply with quote

Ps Your sketch show traffic islands on Bolton Road. Yes, something like that would help but I think unlikely as the road is probably too narrow and they would impede large vehicles.
This again demonstrates why a proper purpose built access road from further up Bolton Road is the most sensible long term solution and nothing more should be done in respect of the school until this is in place.
This road could be used by all construction traffic too.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 12:04:02      reply with quote

Not a traffic island but a cross-hatched painted bit of the road.

It was to discourage traffic going up Bolton Road from overtaking at this point. Several times when I have been turning left out of Dale View (after looking left - right - and left again) I have been confronted with someone overtaking coming up the hill on my side of the road.

This was written 7 years ago and using this junction as a school access was not on the agenda. I, like a lot of other people that have to use the junction, just wanted to be able to get out of Dale View safely.

X-Ref
silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=1989

silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=4585

silsden.net/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=179

Happywalker
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 12:17:58      reply with quote

Totally agree with you Peter.I just worry that the same idiots who we often see overtaking up the hill will simply ignore some painted hatchings, and may give others a false sense of security when pulling out. Keep up the fight.
solid wood flooring

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 12:33:12      reply with quote

Expect to see a puffin crossing proposal put forward as a solution for this junction when the plans for the school are published.

This will make the junction safer for us to use as drivers and allow the little kiddywinks to cross the road.

It would also bunch up the traffic going into Silsden and make a traffic jam by the parking along Kirkgate, but hey ho, what do Bradford care?

victor
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 12:44:48      reply with quote

Peter it would also be nice to know what Silsden town council think about it.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 13:42:11      reply with quote

posted by victor
Peter it would also be nice to know what Silsden town council think about it.
I can't answer for STC, you will have to go to the STC meeting on Thursday and ask them.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2017 : 17:20:17      reply with quote

Victor, by all means go to the Town Council meeting.
However has Peter said on a post earlier, Bradford do not take much if any notice of either the Town Council or anybody else in Silsden.

Replies in this thread : 24

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Bolton Road / Dale View junction - an accident waiting to happen?  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to