Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > A NEW FLOOD WARNING area for Silsden covering over 300 properties

Replies in this thread : 9

Author

Topic : A NEW FLOOD WARNING area for Silsden covering over 300 properties

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2017 : 12:08:27      reply with quote

FROM
Heather Cottrill
Flood Resilience Officer
Environment Agency | Lateral, 8 City Walk, Leeds, LS11 9AT

I am the Bradford and Upper Aire lead for the Environment Agency Flood Resilience team in Leeds.

On October 19th a new flood warning area was introduced for Silsden covering over 300 properties. This means that there are over 300 residents and businesses that may not know they are now eligible to sign up to our free Flood Warning Service, or worse yet they may not know what to do once they receive the flood alert or warning. Please see attached for the outline of the warning area.

Our team is going to hold a public drop in event on Wednesday 6th December at Silsden Town Hall, between the hours of 4 and 7pm.

DOWNLOAD THE LARGE SCALE MAP
www.news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Silsden-FWA.pdf

My three objectives for the event are:

1. The community within the flood warning area have better understanding of our Flood Warning Service and leave the event fully signed up with the knowledge of what to do when they receive the warning

2. For my team to come away with valuable local knowledge that can improve our flood warning capabilities

3. The community inputs into the Flood Warning Area extent and include any ‘trouble spots’ or particular areas where they feel would benefit from receiving a warning

By registering to the Flood Warning Service you will be able to receive an advanced warning of potential flooding in your area so you can take steps to prepare yourself and your property for flooding. To sign up to this free service please call Floodline 0345 988 1188, or visit our website https://www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings

Heather Cottrill
Flood Resilience Officer
Environment Agency | Lateral, 8 City Walk, Leeds, LS11 9AT

heather.cottrill@environment-agency.gov.uk

click for more information

midway
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2017 : 13:16:51      reply with quote

And if you want to know where the flood water comes from, go have a look at the height of the water in the reservoir,( just my opinion) but i think the level of the water is maintained at a too high a level.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 09:47:40      reply with quote

TONIGHT

Wednesday 6th December at Silsden Town Hall, between the hours of 4 and 7pm.

A LINK YOU MAY FIND USEFUL

flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/long-term-flood-risk/map?easting=404215&northing=446240&address=100051265181&map=RiversOrSea

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 19:24:36      reply with quote

Was a waste of time in my opinion

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 19:39:06      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
Can I ask what you expected to get out of it? I went down at 4.30pm and it was quite busy and they seem to be helping quite a few people.

BTW I don't live in the flood zone so I won't be on the flood warning list.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 20:15:18      reply with quote

posted by Peter
posted by gazzer
Can I ask what you expected to get out of it? I went down at 4.30pm and it was quite busy and they seem to be helping quite a few people.

BTW I don't live in the flood zone so I won't be on the flood warning list.

They wanted valuable local information but didnt want to discuss that local information.Asked why they did not object to planning on the Riverside site pretty much answered this is just about flood warnings.
I asked about the reservoir and how it affects the flood zone and was told its a matter for Yorkshire water.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

07/12/2017 : 08:54:44      reply with quote

I can understand what gazzer says, but the stated objectives of the meeting were to help people with the warning scheme, and nothing more. It said that in the letter we all got as well. It's good that EA are meeting the people and encouraging them to sign up, so well done for that. We have signed up online.
However the real issues relate to flood prevention, so that the warning scheme is not called upon. EA/ Yorkshire Water should have a meeting to explain the practical things being done to reduce the flooding risk. The last floods must have cost a huge amount in repairs, and disruption in the town was bad over a long period.
I am a layman, but it seems obvious that some dredging of the beck is needed, to improve the flow through the town. There may be other things that can be done to help the 300 properties at risk, and would money be better spent on prevention rather than on clearing up afterwards?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

07/12/2017 : 16:21:03      reply with quote

Initial assessment report
Silsden Beck
September 2016. Worth a look.

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/3739/silsden-initial-assessment.pdf

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

07/12/2017 : 20:52:22      reply with quote

posted by midway
Initial assessment report
Silsden Beck
September 2016. Worth a look.

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/3739/silsden-initial-assessment.pdf
Its as if they dont care that the surface water drains on Howden Road cant take heavy rain so the water runs down the road causing flooding at the Clog Bridge/Howden Road/St John Street junction

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

09/12/2017 : 14:25:24      reply with quote

midway.... many thanks for the link to the report. The priority seems to be to build flood walls in Silsden, not clear out the beck of stones etc, which would improve the flow of water through the town. If that is the case, then we must await any floods, and see what happens. Hopefully none will come...!

Replies in this thread : 9

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > A NEW FLOOD WARNING area for Silsden covering over 300 properties  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to