Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > False propaganda

Replies in this thread : 26

Author

Topic : False propaganda

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2018 : 14:58:29      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

False propaganda is potentially very dangerous to democracy, if it is left unchallenged it is more likely to become believable, and in doing so; be mistaken as fact instead if the fiction it truly is.
There are those who say, “Ignore it and it will go away.”
Unfortunately history proved them wrong, the propaganda spouted by the Nazi party in the thirties is a good case in point.
That is why I am posting this.
When I suggested to Peter he should do something about the outrages inaccurate entry about the Town Council by “corky yorky” in the local election post, I was told to” ignore it”.
The content is hypocritical, and totally wrong, corky yorky says,
The only thing that needs to change is you.. the electorate..you need to turn up.. not only to elections but also to Silsden Town Council meetings. If you don’t go and hassle them and put your view across Silsden will only get what they want to do. And what they want to do isn’t always value for money or indeed the right proposal.

For example: It was only a year or so ago i heard that a Town Councillor was proposing to fell some trees, and cut back others, near the bandstand. As part of the proposal the suggestion was to carve the remaining stumps into various shapes, such as cartoon characters!
I’m just glad this never happened

Only a hypocrite doesn’t attend council meetings yet tells others to go to council meetings, when it is obvious from his second paragraph he wasn’t there for the meeting he quotes, because it is hear say, and wrong.

I was there and here are the true facts.

A Councillor brought to the meeting; a suggestion from the Christmas lights volunteers, who are rightly worried about the sorry state of our Christmas tree which is dying, due to it being overshadowed by a tree at the side of it.
Their proposal was for the tree to be cut back to the top of its trunk which would then be carved into the shape of a soldier.
There was only one tree and only the one soldier.
The proposal was not accepted by the council members there at the time; so the motion was lost, that is how true democracy works.
click for more information

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2018 : 16:16:12      reply with quote

So does the tree now die, and an imaginative solution is lost? Or is there another answer to the problem?

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2018 : 20:23:33      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

HurricaneHector you should have heeded Peter’s word (he was trying to help you)...because you have made a total fool of yourself: It is you that has created false propaganda...and allegations!

If you believed in democracy you wouldn’t be trying to shut up someone.

It is my understanding that their were many images of carved wooden, cartoonish characters shown to the TC that day, by via of a slide show, showing what could be done to a stump!
It is also of the understanding that it was not intimated to the public the reason for this proposal and everyone had reason to believe the proposal was a single agenda by a councillor.
Still more, as you all know and can see...the christmas tree is not dead as per HurricaneHectors comments.
You should get your facts closer to the truth.
Who will you believe!

And yes, im glad that democracy did work, absolutely..but it should never had even got that far. It was a joke and a complete waste of time!

Dexter, the christmas tree, i’m told, will outgrow its situation and its character will be lost; ultimately within a few years or less it is likely to be felled. Oh...the other trees will be saved..for the time being..so the lovely blossom can be enjoyed every year!

END OF

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/05/2018 : 07:27:09      reply with quote

If Corky goes to Town Council meetings then he can say things about those, like me who cant find the time to go.
However statements containing "It is my understanding" or "im told" make Corky's views irrelevent.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

08/05/2018 : 20:29:51      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by dexter
So does the tree now die, and an imaginative solution is lost? Or is there another answer to the problem?
dexter, I am not a tree expert, so I suggest you or anybody else who is interested should go and take a look at the Christmas tree in the memorial gardens, then go and compare it to the similar tree in the house garden on Dradishaw road, about opposite Gloucester ave.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

08/05/2018 : 20:52:05      reply with quote

Well said gazzer.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2018 : 05:23:33      reply with quote

Had a look at both trees, HH, see what you mean. My point was that if the tree is dying and needs felled, why not have a carved soldier looking at the War Memorial? Seems to be a good idea....

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2018 : 16:20:26      reply with quote

posted by dexter
Had a look at both trees, HH, see what you mean. My point was that if the tree is dying and needs felled, why not have a carved soldier looking at the War Memorial? Seems to be a good idea....
Dexter, I think you are looking at the wrong trees. This is all about preventing the dieback of the Christmas tree by destroying a perfectly good healthy tree which is crowding the Christmas tree.

At an STC meeting which both Corky Yorky and myself attended:

In December 2016 there was a request from a councillor to cut down the tree in front of the Christmas tree as this was causing damage to the Christmas tree. Some discussion followed and it was suggested the perfectly healthy tree be removed, but the stump be left long so that a figure of a soldier could be carved in the trunk. I have to say this idea was arrived at because someone knew a chainsaw caver that carved cartoon characters.

The discussion moved on, and the resolve was to call in someone from BradMet who was suitable qualified to assess the damage to the Christmas tree and to recommend a course of action.

Nothing happened, and in April 2017 the clerk again contacted Bradford, I believe the result was there was no money to carry out an inspection.

Christmas trees (Norway Spruce) do not regenerate once the cause of the dieback has been removed - we would be left with a Christmas tree which on one side was a bit brown and bald

The perfectly healthy tree is outlined, its only sin is to shade the Christmas tree. It was suggested this tree be felled and the figure of a soldier be carved in the trunk.

The damage caused to the Christmas tree

The Christmas tree from the other side

False propaganda????
Certainly not the whole truth!

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2018 : 18:04:40      reply with quote

Thanks Peter, will go away now....!

porta
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2018 : 19:47:00      reply with quote

Taking off the lower branches will encourage fresh growth. A great deal of dieback is caused by the tree itself, I should know, we have a bloody load of crowded fir, spruce etc, my gradual thinning is bringing the existing trees into fresh green growth and fresh limbs. Our priorities however, are to our native tree and shrub planting

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

09/05/2018 : 21:30:35      reply with quote

Oh..Peter..you do spoil the fun!

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

10/05/2018 : 10:22:19      reply with quote

Dorky yorky the way you abuse the Town councillors IS NOT FUN, and this forum should not be used by you or anybody to denigrate the hard work they do for this Town without any pay, or in your case thanks.
Peter if the cherry tree is perfectly health, then why many years ago were Bradford planning the cut most of them down?
They like health but are they?
Qoute from peter above, I have to say this idea was arrived at because someone knew a chainsaw caver that carved cartoon characters.
Peter you are totally wrong the search for a chainsaw carver was only undertaken after the lights group decided that their proposed solution the the Christmas tree problem should be moved.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

10/05/2018 : 11:39:45      reply with quote

The tree shading the Christmas tree IS NOT a cherry tree. The cherry trees which are flowering at the moment around the bandstand, were old 25 years ago, and are now way past their sell-by date, as are the cherry trees in the park by the pavillion.

They need cutting down and replacing with like-for-like trees.

The 3 willow trees by the beck have been replaced. Some trees do not last forever and in this category I would include Christmas trees.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

10/05/2018 : 11:58:50      reply with quote

Grandad..yet again blah...blah...blah..!

I merely put across a point a view which i felt unhappy about: That is not abuse!

The ‘fun’ element was not created from me...but from those who responded (Peter excepted), including you...and me sitting back watching how you all come up with such rediculous accusations, and go off in the most strangest of tangents; unbeknown that what i had said was actually the truth!
It has been clear that those who responded, against me, are doing so through hatred alone, without looking at the full facts.

Ineffect you all created an issue over nothing and if there was any abuse it is clear where that is coming from.

What is good however is that the issues that the Town Council address are to some degree being aired. Maybe more people will now go along to STC meetings.
I’m glad Peter cleared the air, because it was so painfully laughable.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/05/2018 : 10:11:10      reply with quote

posted by Peter
The tree shading the Christmas tree IS NOT a cherry tree.

Got it wrong it's a

Prunus padus 'Watereri'
bird cherry 'Watereri'

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/66542/i-Prunus-padus-i-Watereri/Details

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

11/05/2018 : 11:25:27      reply with quote

Abuse is abuse when anybody involved considers it too be abuse.
That is the law.
Not that I expect either of you to take any notice of that.
So I am not surprised that very few people can bother to use this site.
I am now one more that will use other sites which are better.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/05/2018 : 12:09:13      reply with quote

posted by grandad
Abuse is abuse when anybody involved considers it too be abuse.
That is the law.
Not that I expect either of you to take any notice of that.
So I am not surprised that very few people can bother to use this site.
I am now one more that will use other sites which are better.
Dorky Yorky???? isn't that abuse?

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

12/05/2018 : 11:37:50      reply with quote

Could be a typo?
But then you don't give a dam what is said on here so long as it helps undermine the hard work done by so many volunteers in the town.
this sit is a disgrace.
that is not abuse it is my opinion.
Goodbye!

victor
Website Member

Website Member

12/05/2018 : 13:14:03      reply with quote

No I am not taking my bat and ball home honest.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

12/05/2018 : 14:30:22      reply with quote

Can’t believe he’s left!
I was hoping i would get an apology!

cars
Website Member

Website Member

13/05/2018 : 22:09:49      reply with quote

goodbye grandad.....
solid wood flooring

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2018 : 17:25:30      reply with quote

Must say..those Prunus padus ‘Watereri’ trees are stunning at the moment.
They really show off the frontage to Sisden's pocket park.
Yes the Christmas tree looks a little sad, especially on one side where it is shaded..but it was clearly planted too close to the Bird Cherries.
When it’s replaced i hope the Town Council will look at siting a new Christmas tree where there is more space for it to flourish without hinderance to it’s growing form.
I look forward to attending the Town Council meeting on this particular issue.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

14/05/2018 : 18:21:52      reply with quote

sorry and sad to hear youve gone grandad dont let folk get u down,fight fire with fire 'sad :(');....the first tree was 2 big for the site when it was first put in, a smaller one should do next time ,half the size to allow growth

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2018 : 10:22:34      reply with quote

propaganda

prɒpəˈɡandə/Submit
noun
1.information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.
"he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"

So.... is "false propaganda" = the truth?

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

15/05/2018 : 20:38:03      reply with quote

posted by Fred
propaganda

prɒpəˈɡandə/Submit
noun
1.information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.
"he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"

So.... is "false propaganda" = the truth?

..and your point is?

Fred
Website Member

Website Member

16/05/2018 : 10:24:10      reply with quote

False Propaganda (the title of this topic) is an "oxymoron"

Another word to look up.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

16/05/2018 : 11:32:23      reply with quote

yes Fred.... it has been already noticied..the contradiction..meaning that there was no propaganda at all!

Replies in this thread : 26

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > False propaganda   

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to