Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > School site Archaeology Dig

Replies in this thread : 31

Author

Topic : School site Archaeology Dig

JackoW
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 11:28:43      reply with quote

Diggers and big machinery in one of the fields being used for the new school,
Asked one of the lads on site what they were doing said it was a Archaeology dig and survey,
Letís hope they find something
click for more information

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 15:23:24      reply with quote

I would be very surprised if they found anything!

Iíve checked the lidar data and didínt see anything abnormal!

hat
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 15:33:00      reply with quote

wouldnt stop anything even if they do find something. it's std practice now; survey the site, record any findings, remove anything of special interest & then carry on building. they did the same at the saxon dene site, which is why it's called what it is. They're also in the process of doing the same on the land between skipton bypass & the crematorium

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 15:44:18      reply with quote

posted by hat
wouldnt stop anything even if they do find something. it's std practice now; survey the site, record any findings, remove anything of special interest & then carry on building. they did the same at the saxon dene site, which is why it's called what it is. They're also in the process of doing the same on the land between skipton bypass & the crematorium
Hat..The surveyors checked they Lidar for the Barratt site ands thats why they found the anomaly in the ground. I have the lidar and can see exactly where they found the items. Hence why they named it after the find!

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 15:46:51      reply with quote

this post has been edited 7 time(s)

See for yourselves for the school site:

Can you see any anomalies...a few tiny pits here and there?? May be something may be nothing!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 17:03:31      reply with quote

The digger I saw will destroy anything of interest.It is massive

midway
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 21:25:02      reply with quote

midway
Website Member

Website Member

20/11/2018 : 21:27:57      reply with quote

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 10:44:48      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

They are digging shallow trenches running across the contour lines (and playing mud pies). This shows how wet the ground is and how unsuitable this ground for a school, this ground and the surrounding fields are unsuitable for ANY building. From the size of the soil heaps, top soil on one side and underlying boulder clay on the other, you can see how shallow the top soil is over the boulder clay. The boulder clay is largely impervious to water hence every trench ends in a swimming pool.

.... and this ground on the top surface is not even wet yet (in comparison to how wet it gets during the winter months, when the water oozes up around your boots as you walk). When this ground is concreted over, 50% of the school will be hard surfaced, all this water will have to go somewhere.

Expect more flooding lower down!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 15:36:48      reply with quote

I see my picture has been nicked by Facebook with no acknowledged of it's origin - I hate Facebook!!!!! copyright what copyright sad :(

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 16:04:12      reply with quote

dont you mean farcebook peter,where all snowflakes complain and moan about life in general. 'laugh :D');

hat
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 17:14:07      reply with quote

Happy to add an acknowledgment peter but when you put content on an online forum, like it or not itís public domain. I happen to think whatís more important is making sure as wide an audience as possible is aware of what is happening in their town

hat
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 19:31:17      reply with quote

So rather than responding and allowing me to add an acknowledgment you reported my facebook post and had it removed? Thatís a bit petty donít you think?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 20:21:36      reply with quote

posted by hat
So rather than responding and allowing me to add an acknowledgment you reported my facebook post and had it removed? Thatís a bit petty donít you think?
That was NOT me, I haven't looked at your post on Facebook again and I DON'T post on Facebook sites.

While I'm writing here I will post my thoughts on the facebook posts without acknowledgement of source. This is not aimed at you Hat but Facebook users in general and anyone else that doesn't see a problem with reusing others media with asking or at least quoting their source.

I take a lot of photographs of Silsden and share them on my websites. I have no problem with people using them as long as the source is acknowledged, they may be in the public domain but they still belong to me.

You wouldn't copy a picture out of a book and put it on a website without providing a reference, why is it OK to pass a digital picture off as your own?

Pictures on this forum are used to illustrate a point made by their author, if the picture is used on another website without the accompanying text and reference the picture may lose its meaning. The picture above was used as an illustration of the impermeability of boulder clay, but when it was shown on Facebook it became a story about flooding.

When you signed up to use this forum you agreed to these terms
www.silsden.net/forum/philboard_signup.asp?page=philboard_reply.asp?id=5543

End of rant.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 20:41:04      reply with quote

Apologies if thats the case, and like i said Iím happy to acknowledge the source, i asked the group owner to do this for me

Iím intrigued now as to who did report it and why

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 20:58:34      reply with quote

Thank you

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 21:46:48      reply with quote

Peter is spot on!!

What you should have done Hat is put a direct link to the article on this page you wanted to utilise on Facebook, rather than steal an image and rework a storyline to suit yourself and gain some kind of credit!!

I hope you learn from this one!

Oh and Congrats to whoever pulled Hat over!!

Lets get back to the main article/issue now!

hat
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 22:05:43      reply with quote

Steal an image fo gain credit? How shallow do you assume i am? Itís sharing of information to a wider audience. Like you say lets move on

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

21/11/2018 : 22:12:41      reply with quote

It's a little harsh to single out a single Facebook user. My point was the problem is a general Facebook problem. Posts are routinely linked into Facebook sites from online news sites but there is usually a link back to the source site, inserted automatically.

Unfortunately the same users think it's OK to use pictures from all websites without permission or acknowledgement.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

22/11/2018 : 08:40:01      reply with quote

Can we get back on the subject please.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

22/11/2018 : 10:26:32      reply with quote

The full size jcb digger has gone and thereís no activity today. Presumably its waiting for the archeologists to turn up now
solid wood flooring

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

22/11/2018 : 11:17:38      reply with quote

posted by hat
The full size jcb digger has gone and thereís no activity today. Presumably its waiting for the archeologists to turn up now
It was by the barn at 10am this morning.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

22/11/2018 : 12:05:03      reply with quote

It is still near the barn not in use.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

22/11/2018 : 14:56:13      reply with quote

Dont you think they are rained off?
Ground conditions are too wet for any progress.

By the way Peter i didnt single the person out..they singled themselves out!

victor
Website Member

Website Member

23/11/2018 : 08:23:30      reply with quote

Three days in mud all over Hawber cote lane.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/11/2018 : 10:32:20      reply with quote

For when the actual school building actually starts you may like to download this document for reference:

news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/17_05793_REG-DECISION_NOTICE-5187322.pdf

18. Before any development commences on site, full details of arrangements for wheel
cleaning of construction vehicles and equipment, including the location of such a facility in relation to the highway and arrangements for disposal of contaminated surface water shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The details and measures so approved shall be installed, maintained in good operational condition and
used for wheel cleaning whilst ever construction or delivery vehicles are leaving the site.

Reason: To prevent mud being taken on to the public highway in the interests of highway
safety and to accord with Policy TM19A of the Replacement Unitary Development Plan.

PS There are quite a few other conditions in the document which builders love to ignore but should be held to account.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

23/11/2018 : 14:32:30      reply with quote

Yes Peter they all do it, our favourite local builder parked on Banklands lane while they built there houses when planning conditions said loading and unloading only. They also worked on Saturday afternoons, against permission. If you don't believe me ask Skippy, I complained to him three or four times before they stopped.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

23/11/2018 : 18:39:33      reply with quote

Because of the underlying boulder clay this land does NOT absorb water. This is the state of the ground two days after my last picture. It has not really rained since my last picture was taken, but there is a lot of water still in the trench.

Expect floods on the lower ground when the school is built.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

28/11/2018 : 11:09:34      reply with quote

The trenches have all been filled back in this morning. Not much studying gone on there

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/11/2018 : 12:37:41      reply with quote

I looked at the trench this morning (before it was filled in) and the water was back up to the level of my first picture.

It will be interesting when they start building, there will be lots of mud!

victor
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2018 : 11:12:32      reply with quote

when I asked the man doing the survey if they had found anything he said that the trenches where dug at random because nothing had shown up on the geo survey. He also said that only 200 year old things had turned up, and were not of any importance.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

29/11/2018 : 14:19:31      reply with quote

posted by victor
when I asked the man doing the survey if they had found anything he said that the trenches where dug at random because nothing had shown up on the geo survey. He also said that only 200 year old things had turned up, and were not of any importance.
Like I said..i checked the Lidar and saw nothing abnormal!!

There are a few sites around Silsden which might reap some treasure though!!
Anyone want to go 50/50?

Replies in this thread : 31

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > School site Archaeology Dig  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to