Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Unusual Weather

Replies in this thread : 5

Author

Topic : Unusual Weather

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

26/02/2019 : 17:49:53      reply with quote

Having marvelled, probably like everyone else, at this un-seasonal weather we are currently experiencing I begin to wonder of its reason!

I also noted that on yesterdays BBC news bulletin about the amount of atmospheric pollution that is curently high. In particular I noticied, with some shock, that the whole of the Yorkshire region is the highest in the country, and it stood out significantly from our neighbouring counties!

What is causing this problem in Yorkshire i thought!

Well i didn’t have to wait very long for a likely answer!
Having taken a sunny walk up to Lunds Tower today the problem was very clear to see.
BURNING, AND INPARTICULAR GROUSE MOORS!
The temperature inversion, where a layer of warmer higher altitude, atmospheric, air traps in the cooler, lower air is drawing down the smoke from all the burning; Thus we are getting smog! (smoky fog) It appears to be affecting much of Yorkshire because of the westerlies, and settling in and along our long valleys, that traverse east to west.

Isn’t it about time grouse moors were abandoned, and burning stopped. How many of you have actually tried a grouse? Well i shall tell you very clearly they are very disappointing birds to eat. Don’t bother, in my eyes its not about the eating..its about the shooting..thats all.
Shooting can be carried out differently without pollluting everyone in our county and country.

Something should be done about this practice. We constantly hear about estate owners; how they are supposed saviours of our landscape and love the countryside. This is utter tripe.

What are your thoughts on this?
click for more information

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

27/02/2019 : 07:57:26      reply with quote

Brexit hot air?

blob
Website Member

Website Member

27/02/2019 : 20:47:41      reply with quote

I'd be more worried about the incinerator Bradford Council has approved near Marley with temperature inversion events to be honest.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

27/02/2019 : 21:34:00      reply with quote

posted by blob
I'd be more worried about the incinerator Bradford Council has approved near Marley with temperature inversion events to be honest.
I agree the incinerator isn’t going to help at all...but moors burning is still a hidden danger which we all are unwittingly subjected to and are poisoned by it. It should at the very least be banned on days when temperature inversion is expected.
Preferably a full ban though!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2019 : 13:47:53      reply with quote

The peat bogs have to be managed whether grouse shoots are an excuse or not, how they are managed is something else....

Before condemning the traditional way of preventing peat fires have a look at last Sundays' Country File.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002tww/countryfile-gloucestershire

The feature starts at about 13.50 mins into the programme.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

28/02/2019 : 16:56:32      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Peter
The peat bogs have to be managed whether grouse shoots are an excuse or not, how they are managed is something else....

Before condemning the traditional way of preventing peat fires have a look at last Sundays' Country File.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002tww/countryfile-gloucestershire

The feature starts at about 13.50 mins into the programme.

Interesting article the Countryfile one, however like alot of its reporting has a lot mistakes, so don’t view it as godsend!

Firstly I agree woth what the Eu are/have tried to do; they have been very much right in their approach to this matter, trying to get the UK to stop burning of Blanket Bog.

Now to the facts: You might want to refer to This book: Heathland Restoration: A Handbook of Techniques, By the Environmemtal Advisory Unit (University Of Liverpool). It is more or less the authoritive book on this subject.

Their are 4 types of Heather in the Uk and their is no such term used as ‘Blanket Bog’ as is used in the Countryfile programme. Moorlands are types of Heathlands. Dry Heathlands, Humid and Wet Heathlands, Mountain Heathlands and Calcareous /Dune heathlands.

The type of heathland commonly burnt, for grouse, is Dry Heathlands (the type on top of the moors that we all commonly know and see). Their are however undulations and gradients of landscape around Dry Heathland where you would find Wet Heathlands. So the use of the term ‘blanket Bog is utterley wrong and misleading. If landowners are signing up to the voluntary commitment to not burn but then ignoring it, it might well be because the wrong definition of what is ‘blanket bog’ is being used.
Dry Heathland is not boggy.

The other day i saw at least 5 fires seriously and extensively polluting our atmosphere.

Their are other ways to cut down heather apart from burning; trampling by cows as shown in Countryfile or mechanical means, (tractor mounted swipe or flail)

I fully recognise that the majority of heathlands are historically created through complicated actions of fire and herbivores, but prior to that the land was fully covered with trees. It is only human actions that moorland has been created.
Stop the burning , Stop the polluting and plant some trees please.

Replies in this thread : 5

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Unusual Weather   

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to